WOL in Windows XP not working RRS feed

• Question

• We have a schedule set up with our computers remotely, one of our computers does not like to WOL.  We have checked driver setting, according to Windows and the manufacturer website there is no updates for the driver.  We checked Power Management through the NIC card from Device Manager and it is set to wake up and allow remote access.  The specific program we use does not use a Magic Packet, therefore we do not really need that setting to be enabled.  We checked the BIO's settings and there is no setting for WOL, I even checked into allowing PCI and PCIe to wake the computer up, knowing this to be a issue with some motherboards.  We do know that the hardware does indeed support WOL we have three (including this one) computers that are built the same with the exact hardware.  We build our own computers and set them up from scratch. 

The issue we have been having for quite some time now, is this computer will not WOL.  We double checked the other two and made the same settings that they have for this one and still it will not work.  Other then this the computer works perfectly fine, it is a on board NIC and we have not tried putting a new NIC card in on a PCI slot.  This is my last idea to check on, I wanted your input on what you think could be the problem. Thanks a bunch!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if I understand you well - you have three computers, which have the same hardware (same the model number of the motherboard) and one of three not power on  through WOL. You can try - look at bios version - if all the motherboars have same the version number. If not, you can you the utility from the manufacturer - which could save the BIOS from working WOL computer into file and then update not working WOL computer - but be sure that the model number and the manufacturer are the same.

Otherwise you can look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_on_LAN

part - Hardware implementations

LC

Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking the obvious, did you adjust the power management settings in device manager for the LAN adapter (Power management tab) to allow this device to bring computer out of standby?

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:50 PM