none
Export Edge subscription from Exch2010 to 2013| help please

Question

• Hello MVP's

We have exch 2013 in our set up. When it comes to edge servers, we are using two edge server 2010 (One in production and other non-production) version in coexistence with exchange 2013 server

On one of the edge server 2010 in different site > I have decommissioned it and installed 2013 edge role. I have exported edge sync xml file from production edge server 2010 and i am trying to import the xml to Exch 2013 edge server

I have followed below article:-

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996008%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Step 1 is done. I am trying to modify the config answer file on target server i.e. my 2013 edge and when i try to complete

Will this work or do i need to create a new subscription o 2013 server

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:52 PM

Answers

• I recommend recreate new Edge Subscription and then do same operation to check the result.

Please also check if your certificate is valid. Please refer to the following steps:

Exchange 2010 Edge Transport Server Backup and Recovery

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 16, 2018 6:03 AM
  • Well i just created a new subscription. That is the only way i could enroll new edge server within existing topology. The cloning feature should be removed as it servers no purpose 

But both the servers are within same AD site hence new subscription would have overruled the existing one 

• Marked as answer by MS Follower Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:26 PM
    • Edited by MS Follower Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

This should not work. The proper steps should be as following:

• Stop mail flow to Edge 2010;
    • Flush the message queues in the Edge server 2010;
    • Uninstall Edge server 2010;
    • Install Edge server 2013;
    • Create new Edge Subscription File from Edge server 2013, and copy to the Mailbox 2013 servers.

Please refer to: Upgrading from Exchange Edge 2010 to Exchange Edge 2013

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for further update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know. And if the replies has helped you, please help to mark as answer since it could be helpful for others.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:46 AM
  • i cannot remove edge server 2010 as of yet as it is in production.

The non production 2010 edge server is already replaced with 2013 version

I am following the article of cloning and having trouble with step-2 "modifying the answer file". looks like below:-

<MachineSpecificSettings>
      <TransportServer>
        <!-- Validation failed -->
        <ConnectivityLogPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\Connectivity"
        <MessageTrackingLogPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking"
        <PickupDirectoryPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Pickup>"
        <ReceiveProtocolLogPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive"
        <ReplayDirectoryPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Replay"
        <RoutingTableLogPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\Routing"
        <SendProtocolLogPath>"E:\Program Files\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend"
      </Transport Server>
      <ReceiveConnector Name="Default internal receive connector edge2013servername">
        <Fqdn></Fqdn>
      </ReceiveConnector>
    </MachineSpecificSettings>

and if it try to run step-3 mentioned n the cloned document i get below error:-

Warning:Passwords will be encrypted with the default script encryption key
    Loading Answer File Failed.
    Reason: Exception calling "Load" with "1" argument(s): "The 'SendProtocolLogPath' start tag on line 16 position 6 does n
    ot match the end tag of 'Transport'. Line 17, position 5."

ANy idea

Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:40 PM
  • I recommend recreate new Edge Subscription and then do same operation to check the result.

Please also check if your certificate is valid. Please refer to the following steps:

Exchange 2010 Edge Transport Server Backup and Recovery

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Friday, March 16, 2018 6:03 AM
  • thnx Jason.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Welcome and hope it helps!

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Well i just created a new subscription. That is the only way i could enroll new edge server within existing topology. The cloning feature should be removed as it servers no purpose 

But both the servers are within same AD site hence new subscription would have overruled the existing one 

• Marked as answer by MS Follower Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:26 PM
    • Edited by MS Follower Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:26 PM