none
Upgrading multiple DPM servers when using Primary to secondary protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an environment with a couple DPM servers, both running Server 2012 and DPM 2012 R2. DPM2 backs up DPM1.

I want to upgrade them both to Server 2016 and DPM 2019, either by upgrading the OS or building new servers.

My concern is that DPM needs to be the same version on both DPM servers to ensure successful backup of DPM1 by DPM2.

How can I achieve an upgrade of DPM without compromising my backup system? If i install a fresh server 2016 and DPM 2019, I can't protect the same servers as the old version of DPM thus creating a gap in my backup schedule and potentially leaving me without a backup.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you have multiple DPM servers, you need to upgrade the primary DPM server first and then the secondary DPM server.

Please note that in general it is recommended to perform a clean install of a Windows Server operating system.

If you want to upgrade your DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2019, you will have to perform two (2) upgrade steps for DPM and two upgrade steps for the Windows Server operating system if you're using Windows Server 2012 (one upgrade step if you're using Windows Server 2012 R2).

Here are the supported upgrade paths for DPM:

Some DPM 2016 features, such as Modern Backup Storage (MBS), require the Windows Server 2016 RTM build.
    It is possible to upgrade DPM 2016 from DPM 2012 R2, running on Windows Server 2012 R2. However, customers receiving DPM 2016 will want the latest features, so Microsoft recommends installing DPM 2016 on a new installation of Windows Server 2016 RTM.

So if you want to upgrade from Windows Server 2012 (non R2), you would have to do as follows:

1. In-place upgrade the Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2.

2. Upgrade the primary DPM 2012 R2 server to DPM 2016.

3. Upgrade the secondary DPM 2012 R2 server to DPM 2016.

4. In-place upgrade the Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016.

5. Upgrade the primary DPM 2016 server to DPM 2019.

6. Upgrade the secondary DPM 2016 server to DPM 2019.

As you can see, there are a lot of upgrade steps involved, both for DPM and Windows Server, I would not recommend doing it this way, I have personally experienced various of issues when performing more than 1 version upgrade.

I would recommend installing a fresh Windows Server 2016/2019 and install DPM 2019 on them, and then coordinate when the backups are not running, so you can uninstall the old DPM agents and install the new DPM agents and finally run backups, this is a bigger job and should be done during a planned maintenance.

I have written a guide on how to upgrade to DPM 2019:

Upgrading to DPM 2019 Step-By-Step
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/52731.upgrading-to-dpm-2019-step-by-step.aspx
    (
    Also found on my blog)

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:48 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 10:33 AM
  • Hi Leon.

Thank you very much for your advice. I too would rather install a fresh version of the OS and DPM, but I do not have the hardware available to do this.

Best,

Theo

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 3:18 PM
  • DPM can also run as a virtual machine, but otherwise you would either have to wait to get new hardware or then perform the upgrade steps as I mentioned.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 3:27 PM