none
Unable to install AD RMS Mobile Extension

Question

• Hi,

I've been searching for months for the answer for this question. I've been trying to install AD RMS Mobile extension. I followed all throughout the documents stated. I created srv records, ran the clients in adfs, ran the configuration of AD RMS Mobile extension through powershell. However I keep on getting this error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as a part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I am desperate on how to install this feature. Because this is a requirement for the outlook for Mac to read through RMS protected emails.

Thank you for any kind heart who will answer. Have a great day!

Regards,

John

• Edited by JManQ Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:34 PM
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:28 PM

All replies

• What are you trying to install at the moment you get the error message? Does the account running the install have enaough permissions?

Please check these:

Check the Windows Installer service is running or not

Start the Windows Installer service.
    1. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
    2. From the list of items, double click Windows Installer service.
    3. Change the startup type to Automatic and click Start button to start service.
    4. Click Apply and then click ok.

Check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

1. Click Start, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. 

2. Click Start, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. 

3. Now, try your installation again.  

Additional information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:29 PM
  • Hi PR Ortiz,

Thank you so much for replying. The application I am trying to install is ADRMS.MobileDeviceExtenstion.exe on my on premise RMS server. I am a domain Admin, local administrator and member of AD RMS Enterprise Administrators.

I noticed that windows installer is set to manual and I can't configure it to Automatic. However I started the service for now.

Run the commands MSIEXEC /unregister and MSIEXEC /regserver in administrator mode in command prompt. The issue still persists.

Regards,

John

Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:10 PM
  • Ok, please check every step in this documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn673574(v=ws.11)

Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Hi P.R.Ortiz,

I've done all of these steps. However it somehow won't accept the installation. SRV records are already done. Can you give me an insight what ADFS url the installer is asking? Because I am putting the URL but it doesn't want to accept it. 

Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:56 PM
  • Ok, first of all check your ADFS is prepared for AD RMS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn758110%28v%3dws.11%29

Then, please follow instructions under Title "Configuring AD FS for the AD RMS mobile device extensión" in:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn673574(v=ws.11)

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:04 AM
  • Hi PR,

ADFS and RMS is already configured and working in our corporate system. I've tried to install it again with logs now and it returns: "Installation success or error status: 1603."

Monday, January 29, 2018 3:27 PM
  • If your environment fulllfils every requirement in the documentation and you followed every step for deployment, and still you are finding errors, at this point I would open a ticket with Microsoft Support or get a Support proffessional to work directly on your servers. Sorry.
    • Proposed as answer by Pablo R. Ortiz Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:58 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Thank you so much for taking time to help me.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 9:49 PM