DHCP Superscope keeps reverting RRS feed

• Question

• OK, here's a question.  I created a superscope, and within that superscope was a number of scopes.  I probably didn't follow best practice here, since the child scopes were bascially all over the place as far as IP addresses go.

But anyway, one day we noticed that one of the scopes, when clients would attempt to renew their address, DHCP would assigned them an address from the first scope of the superscope instead of the scope that they should be in.  And when this happens, the client cannot connect to anything, since it gets an IP that belongs to another subnet.

So, in order to try and remedy this situation, I removed the scope from the superscope, deleted the invalid client from the incorrect scope, and everything's hunk-dory.  However, the next time the server is rebooted, or the DHCP Server service is restarted, the scope I removed from the superscope is right back in that superscope again.  In fact, even if I remove all the scopes from the superscope, and delete the superscope completely, the next time the DHCP Server service is started, that damn superscope, along with all of the child scopes I removed, are right back in it again.

Note:  This is happenping on both a 2003 and 2008 server.

• Changed type Miles Zhang Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:20 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:58 PM

Answers

• When creating a Superscope, the subnets need to be inline or basically in the same 'subnet' (based on the mask) that all machines are configured, meaning if one client gets an IP out of any of the scopes in the Superscope, then can still communicate. It seems that you may non-routable subnets in the scopes and needs to be addressed.

As far as deleting them and them coming back on restart, that's interesting. Without restarting, first deactivate the superscope, then delete it, then restart the DHCP Server Service. See if that works.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:21 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:16 PM

All replies

• When creating a Superscope, the subnets need to be inline or basically in the same 'subnet' (based on the mask) that all machines are configured, meaning if one client gets an IP out of any of the scopes in the Superscope, then can still communicate. It seems that you may non-routable subnets in the scopes and needs to be addressed.

As far as deleting them and them coming back on restart, that's interesting. Without restarting, first deactivate the superscope, then delete it, then restart the DHCP Server Service. See if that works.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:21 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Were you able to get this resolved?  I have had the same issue for a long time now, both on 2003 domain, and continued when upgraded to 2008.  I don't have many scopes, so when DHCP box is rebooted, I manually remove the scopes from Superscope and I'm good until the next server reboot.  Sure would be nice to fix this.... 
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Are your scopes inline within a subnet range based on the subnet mask of the superscope? If not, then it will cause inconsitencies and what you are seeing.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

Saturday, March 19, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Were you able to get this resolved?  I have had the same issue for a long time now, both on 2003 domain, and continued when upgraded to 2008.  I don't have many scopes, so when DHCP box is rebooted, I manually remove the scopes from Superscope and I'm good until the next server reboot.  Sure would be nice to fix this.... 

The only way I was able to get it fixed was to delete the scope, rebuild it outside the superscope.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:18 PM
  • sollution at

http://www.windowstricks.in/2010/07/issue-removing-scope-from-superscope.html

• Proposed as answer by Ganesamoorthy Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ganesamoorthy Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ganesamoorthy Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Dear Pavel

The trick in the link worked for me. Thanks for sharing it

King

• Edited by Anonymous_k Monday, January 16, 2017 2:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Anonymous_k Monday, January 16, 2017 2:20 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 2:18 AM
  • Thanks a lot, This worked for me also.

I am running Windows 2012 standard DHCP server.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:05 PM