none
Mailboxes causing crashes on the database, and getting quarantined - Exchange 2016 CU8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We recently migrated from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016 and everything was working well until one of the user's mailboxes started being sent to quarantine and causing DB to crash. I tried repairing the mailbox, but no errors are found on repair. Mailbox is working fine in online mode but when set to the cached mode it starts crashing. When we try to export or move the mailbox the same error occurs: Event ID 1013

The mailbox with mailbox guid xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx caused a crash or resource outage on database "xxxxxxxx" (xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).              

Version: 15.01.1415.002       
    Description: LID 47076: -1019 MESSPAJ.JetConnection.ProcessJetError,MESSPAJ.JetTableOperator.GetPhysicalColumnValue,MESSPAJ.JetTableOperator.GetPhysicalColumnSize,MESSPAJ.JetDataRow.LoadStreamColumn,MESSPA.DataRow.LoadStreamColumns,MESSPA.DataRow.Load,MESSPA.DataRow.GetValue,MESSSCS.Ob  

So I manually started exporting folder by folder and found that during the sent items export the DB crashes, and by using cached mode period and opening one by one mail located a dozen of emails that were causing the error above. After I removed these emails and purged the deleted folder I was able to move\export the mailbox that was causing these errors.

But unfortunately, a couple of days later another mailbox appeared with the same event ID (1013) but a bit different error:      

The mailbox with mailbox guid xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx caused a crash or resource outage on database "xxxxxxxx" (xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). 

Version: 15.01.1415.002       
    Description: LID 35272: -1019 MESSPAJ.JetConnection.ProcessJetError,MESSPAJ.JetRetrieveColumnHelper.RetrieveColumnValueToArraySegment,MESSPAJ.JetTableOperator.ReadBytesFromStream,MESSPAJ.JetDataRow.ReadBytesFromStream,MESSPA.DataRow.ReadStream,MESSSCSPBMESSPA.IColumnStreamAccess.ReadSt  

So I tried finding the corrupted emails again using the same technique, but this time although one folder was failing on export all emails in that folder were opening properly, but when trying to move/export the whole mailbox, or that folder from online mode it was still causing the DB errors.

If you have any idea why is this error occurring or how to resolve it please advise.

Thank you.

• Edited by Zux88 Monday, March 5, 2018 9:03 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Troy,

You were right the database corruption was the issue. We have eventually engaged Microsoft support on this and they performed the repair.

The procedure was to dismount the database and run eseutil /p on the .edb file, as they call it "hard repair" of the database.

After that we were able to move and export all affected mailboxes.

Also, as best practices after running the repair on the database we created a new database and migrated all mailboxes to that new database.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:27 AM

All replies

• So in looking at this issue the main thing that jumps out at me is the -1019 which points to DB corruption.  Based upon this I would

1. Check your APPLICATION event log for errors and critical errors and I bet you will find that the DB has been getting these for some time4
    2. Check the SYSTEM event log for errors and critical errors.  Most often this is related to something at the disk/storage level and you would need to fix this BEFORE attempting any DB related fixes, moves etc since taking those actions could be causing more damage IF the storage system is the cause
    3. Once the SYSTEM related issues are resolved I would first make an offline backup of the EDB and then create a NEW EDB and move ALL mailboxes to the new EDB. 

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, March 5, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Thanks Troy,

I've noticed that on other VMs we have disk errors so I believe that you are correct and that it is hardware related.

I will need some time to determine the cause, and I will open a case with the hypervisor and hardware manufacturer.

I will post an update once we resolve this, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Awesome, yeah you definitely want to fix those issue first. Thanks for the update and let us know when you have a resolution or if we can be of further service

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:45 PM
  • Hi Troy,

You were right the database corruption was the issue. We have eventually engaged Microsoft support on this and they performed the repair.

The procedure was to dismount the database and run eseutil /p on the .edb file, as they call it "hard repair" of the database.

After that we were able to move and export all affected mailboxes.

Also, as best practices after running the repair on the database we created a new database and migrated all mailboxes to that new database.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing the solution with us! 

By the way, I recommend you to mark your last post as answer, and it will be helpful for others in this forum to troubleshoot the similar issues.

Have a nice day! :-)

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Excellent, glad you were able to get it resolved

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:49 PM