Various UI annoyances - Build 7100 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am still running Build 7100, its setup the way I will be running Win7 when it hits Retail.

Anyway, I have a few things I want changed.

1. I need the 'Keep taskbar on top' option but BACK. I need to be able to disable this, there are a few applications that I run 'windowed' and I need every bit of Screen space for them. But when I need to access another Application (notepad for example) I need to be able to hit the windows key and have it popup for only the duration it takes to open that 2nd or 3rd application.

This is a MUST for me to purchase Win7 Retail.

2. The Connect To.. UI. I do not like it. I want it to have a scroll out box (this can be enabled by an option perhaps) and act like Windows XP's Connect to. I have 30+ VPN connections that I have access to. To connect to them via the extra UI popup is annoying. Id rather a 'fly out' window that is triggered by a mouseover action then you just click the VPN connection to popup its Dialup dialog.

3. I want to break apart the Network Connections from a single Icon to how-ever-many Network connections I have going. I have 1 Wireless Card, 2 NICs, and again 30+ VPN connections. The main reason for this, its very difficult to pull down a current IP with out using ipconfig via CMD. and to scroll through all the NICs...well it takes time. Id rather have direct access to the UI for THAT connection. This will also let me disconnect a VPN alot faster then using the current UI option.

And to be honest, those are really the only UI issues I have. MS, fix the Taskbar one And ill be happy. If you fix the other 2 Ill be extatic.

- Win7 User
    JNCIA-ER/EX/IDP/AC/WX
    MCSE 2003/2008
    CCIE-Routing/VoIP
    CISSP
    • Changed type Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:40 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• Ok, I'll bite.  What are you doing with 30+ VPN connects?

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I work for a Var/Technology partner. We use VPN connections to get into our customers networks remotely to do Adds/Moves/Changes.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:39 PM