Refresh problem with Windows 7 libraries RRS feed

• Question

• I have Googled this issue and found many, many people with the same (or very similar) problem, but I haven't found a solution that's worked for me. This issue occurred seemingly out of the blue and I had not installed any new hardware, software or drivers, nor had I made any changes to system settings. I tried using a restore point from before the issue started occurring, but that made no difference.

Here is my issue, and this only affects libraries, not regular folders: -

If I right-click and create a new folder inside a library, the new folder does not appear until I manually refresh with F5 or via right-click - refresh. Similarly, if I rename a folder/file, delete a folder/file, move a folder/file, the screen does not reflect any of the changes unless I manually refresh.

I have 5 libraries set up on my computer. This issue affects 4 of the 5. The 4 affected libraries all contain folders that are on my D drive. The unaffected library is my music library, which contains folders that are on a completely separate E drive. If I reset the 4 affected libraries to the default, the issue no longer occurs. As soon as I edit the contents of those libraries so that the folders I want to include are included, the issue starts occurring again.

I have tried numerous suggested fixes including deleting the icon cache, deleting the libraries completely and starting from scratch, running chkdsk and System File Checker etc. but nothing has helped. Oh, and I tried booting the PC into Safe Mode and the issue still occurs.

This "bug" (for want of a better term) was being reported by users before the final version of Windows 7 was even released and there is a thread on here somewhere where it's confirmed as a bug and was reported to the Windows team, yet it still has not been fixed. Does anyone have any idea what the cause is, or whether a fix is being worked on?

• Edited by SigmaTheDJ Monday, November 14, 2011 6:56 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:51 PM

All replies

• There is no good solution nor even a good workaround, short of not using Libraries at all, and just using hard drive folders directly instead.

Some people claim that setting Windows Explorer to open folder windows in a separate process and starting a new folder window before doing activities in the Library helps, but it's still possible to get a window to stop updating.  I also think disabling indexing may help under some conditions, but it's not a complete fix.

I'm still trying to determine whether this is still a problem in the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

-Noel

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Noel. I've scrapped my libraries for now and am using regular folder shortcuts instead. It's a shame, cos my Windows 7 experience has been flawless (I've been using it since the first RC) up to now. Hopefully they'll fix it one day, but I won't hold my breath. :D
    Monday, November 14, 2011 10:55 PM
  • And you can submit the feedback or suggestion on:

https://connect.microsoft.com/

We believe the development team will fix this function in the future.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:52 AM
  • I have an idea... 

Rather than asking a user to do even more work to report an obvious problem, Leo, could you please forward a link to this thread to the right people yourself?  They might even listen to you.

By the way, I opened a thread over on the Windows 8 DP site, by the way, asking if anyone has seen this problem in Windows 8, and so far no one has reported that they have seen a failure to update.  I'm cautiously hopeful, but still skeptical.

If it IS already fixed in Windows 8, I wonder who made the decision NOT to fix it in Windows 7 via a Windows Update.

-Noel

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:46 PM
  • And you can submit the feedback or suggestion on:

https://connect.microsoft.com/

We believe the development team will fix this function in the future.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hi Leo,

I use the Connect site occasionally as I've been in a couple of the Xbox Live preview programmes (including the current one), but I don't see anywhere to submit bugs related to Windows 7 on that site. Windows 7 is not listed on the list of programs under "Products currently accepting bugs" and if I search for Windows 7 on the front page all that comes up is Windows Embedded Standard. I'd happily report this bug and provide all of the necessary info if you can show me exactly where to do that.

Thanks,

Steve.

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I found a fix for my situation that had identical symptoms as yours, on Windows 8 but likely applies to 7 also. After tons of Googling and trying numerous suggestions and nearly resorting to a reinstall, I found my problem was SIMPLE! I had noticed that there were some times when I could change a file/folder and it responded instantly, so I started to observe what was unique. I noticed if I browsed to folders in Windows File Explorer under "This PC"(or Computer), any changes/refreshes worked fine, but if I browsed to the same folders by going into them via any folders pinned under "Favorites", then they needed to be manually refreshed or revisited. It turns out the problem was the links in Favorites were partially broken. I copied my user profile in the past during the install of Windows 8 and so some of these links were referencing the old profile "Start In" path on the shortcuts. SOLUTION FOR ME: Delete any custom links in Favorites, then browse to the folder in This PC (Computer) and drag it back to Favorites to create a new, correct link. Works like magic now.

Chris

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:17 PM