Opening Folder Location From Windows Search Results Converts Path To Lower Case RRS feed

• Question

• I believe I have found a bug with the "Open folder location" option when using Windows Vista Desktop Search (I am using WDS 4):

Perform a search on your computer using the small search box within Windows Explorer at the top right corner. From the search results, right click on any folder (not file) and select "Open folder location". Note that the path displayed in the breadcrumb/address bar has completely changed to lower case.

However, if you right click on any file (not folder) and select "Open file location" and you will notice that the breadcrumb bar correctly reflects the correct letter casing.

If I have posted this to the wrong area, please let me know where I should report this.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please understand that this forum mainly focuses on Windows Vista system questions, and we are not the recommended forum for Windows Search 4.0. I would like to suggest that you post the question in the following forums.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/community.mspx

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please understand that this forum mainly focuses on Windows Vista system questions, and we are not the recommended forum for Windows Search 4.0. I would like to suggest that you post the question in the following forums.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/community.mspx

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:07 AM
  • While NTFS allows for two files with the same name but different casing to coexist in the same folder (see here) it is generally not a recommended practice, since most applications of interest will only be able to open one of them. Therefore, in practice, casing makes no difference, unless you have some very exotic requirement. How is this behavior affecting you? 

Alexander Sklar | Software Development Engineer - Windows Serviceability

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:05 AM
    Answerer