none
Enterprise Mode Design RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    In our organisation we have locations which fall into a couple  of categories "High Bandwidth & Low Latency "  and "Low Bandwidth & High Latency ". The majority are well connected locations but there a some remote locations which are not so well connected. In total there are 150, 000 users globally. Please note I've read the following but i can't find any answers: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx

    We'd like to: 

    1. Turn on Enterprise Mode and use a site list

    2. Turn on local control and logging for Enterprise Mode

    3. Set up Enterprise Mode logging and data collection

    So here are the questions:

    1. How many Servers are required? Sitelist(IIS), Logging(IIS), Reporting, Database?  

    2. Is there any sizing guidance for the servers?

    3. What is the scalability of sitelist, logging, reporting etc?

    Many thanks in advance

    Monday, October 20, 2014 10:27 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    According to the TechNet you pasted above, I guess you've already known how to deploy enterprise mode for all clients in a server.

    You can refer to this link to setup endpoint server for collecting logging and reporting information

    Set up Enterprise Mode logging and data collection

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn781326.aspx

    Regarding to how many servers needed for the 150, 000 users globally, it all depends on the real situation, hard to give an exact answer, users might be in different domain, site, OU, and other network connection issue between each locations.


    Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:39 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Yolanda

    Thanks for your response.

    Yes I've read all the TechNet documentation including logging and data collection.

    As an example single forest with up to four domains all users are in the same OU. The majority are well connected locations but there a some remote locations which are not so well connected.

    Taking into consideration the site list is just an XML file with the likelihood the size will not go over e.g. 20MB (Which is a lot of URLs). I don't believe this is an issue(due to the file size) in terms of placement of IIS server to host the Site List.

    A question I had in relation to this was on the concept of the local cahce and the site list which IE checks for first, after 65 secs it checks the site list xml defined. When there is a change in version does the whole file get copied to the cache oronly the differences?

    In terms of logging and data collection is the any reason on not using the same IIS instance used to host the site list?

    Again in terms of logging and data collection assuming 80% of the site's will be populated into the site list prior to switching on this feature the remaining 20% will be determined based upon logging. As I understand it this is just a POST message that is sent to the website defined, run's a small script which then populates a log. So in terms of sizing an IIS server to accommodate this how do I go about it and are there any network considerations for both well connected and not so well connected networks?

    Appreciate any advice here please?

    Thanks

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:51 AM