DNS: Zone <ZoneName> secondary servers must respond to queries for the zone. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie in this forum and in the server field.

So today the problem I'd like to discuss is DNS role on the server.

Well, I followed and did the Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) instruction (the link below) for resolving the problem that related to the subject. Here is the link included in the BPA log: 

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=188791

But the problem could not be resolved. 

My server version is 2008 R2 Standard SP1

Any help is highly appreciated

Thank you for your consideration

Hien Nguyen

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Could you describe your experimental environment? How do you configure the secondary DNS server?

• Did you set the properties of the zone transfer on the primary server?

•  confirm that Secondary is able to communicate with Primary.Check the connection to the primary domain when you create the secondary domain.

Refer to the following links:

http://www.itingredients.com/how-to-configure-secondary-dns-server-2012-r2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Could you describe your experimental environment? How do you configure the secondary DNS server?

• Did you set the properties of the zone transfer on the primary server?

•  confirm that Secondary is able to communicate with Primary.Check the connection to the primary domain when you create the secondary domain.

Refer to the following links:

http://www.itingredients.com/how-to-configure-secondary-dns-server-2012-r2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:41 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, my VM crashed yesterday, 

then I must check/rebuild the VM for checking this case.

I'll reply and update the status soon.

Thank you,

Hien Ng.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:13 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Your response is great, and I did it but in my case, maybe it's not suitable for.

Then I've just finished my issue with the process flow as below:

1. On the PRIMARY DC, click on the zone you want to replicate > Properties > Enable "Replication" by check on the "Store the zone in Active Directory..."

2. On the SECONDARY DC, click on the server name (example, SEC-SRV) > Update Server Data Files for making sure the zone from the PRI-DC is synchronized on the SEC-DC.

※Do 1~2 for another zone if you have more than one zone.

※Make sure each of the zone on the Reversed Lookup Zones part have the relative PTR records with the Forward Lookup Zone part above.

And it works well.

Again, I'm highly appreciated your help.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Hien Ng.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Travis

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:48 AM