NLB the App-V management Server ! RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any Article which tells how to Load balance the App-V Management Server Which i Am Using for Streaming as well.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:44 AM

Answers

• If You Could Pease tell me that What Eactly are the Ports That I need to Add in the NLB Port list If I am using the mangement Server for Streaming and the Clients Are connecting using RSTPS?

Only port TCP 322.

/Kalle
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

App-v does not have its own technology but would either be based on a software load balancing or a hardware load balancing technology.

See this for Microsoft Network Load Balancing FAQ;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758834(WS.10).aspx

/Znack
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

There's not really a document or article for it, but this KB article briefly discusses NLB w/ App-V: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932018

Also, App-V Infrastructure Planning and Design Guide might have some useful pointers in this regards: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Long story short, with load balancing the streaming -part of the equation, you need to make sure client keeps affinity to the same Mgmt Server as traditional App-V streaming (RTSP) opens first 554 port and then connects to two high TCP ports (41920 onwards, if memory servers me correctly) for actual data exchange. If you load balance each connection to different servers, then session is not kept correctly. If you are using RTSPS i.e. secure-streaming, then all communication goes only through 322 port so you don't need to worry about separate TCP connections to different ports.

Note that this also applies to so-called "desktop refresh" that clients do against management console, it uses the exact same ports and mechanisms as the actual SFT streaming.

For the delivery of OSD and ICO files, well, for that you need different set of tactics depending on whether you use file-shares or HTTP -based delivery.

br,
    Kalle

Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Thank You for Your Reply

I am Using an RTSPS
    1)So that Mean In the Affinity while configuring NLB should be set to ?
    2)Uni or Multi cast mode
    3))What will be the Port Rules

What About If I am Using a Content Directory Which is Placed On a Clustered File Server?
    Do I need to ADD additional Ports in the NLB?
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Thank You for Your Reply

I am Using an RTSPS
    1)So that Mean In the Affinity while configuring NLB should be set to ?
    2)Uni or Multi cast mode
    3))What will be the Port Rules

What About If I am Using a Content Directory Which is Placed On a Clustered File Server?
    Do I need to ADD additional Ports in the NLB?

1) In case of NLB, the affinity should be "Single" or "Class C", but not "None"

2) Unicast or multicast mode depends on how your networking infrastructure has been set-up (single/multiple NICs etc.), if I remember correctly, unicast mode was easier to set-up since you did not need special support for same MAC address in multiple ports (in layer-3 switches)

3) Again, depending on your NLB mode, it could be as simple as "load balance all ports" but your mileage may vary

No, clustered file-server does not need NLB configuration at all but rather the cluster itself is handling high-availability aspect. Of course, if you "re-publish" content through IIS through every Mgmt Server (in the background pointing to file-share), then you would need port 80..

br,
    Kalle
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Thank You for your Reply

3) Again, depending on your NLB mode, it could be as simple as "load balance all ports" but your mileage may vary

If You Could Pease tell me that What Eactly are the Ports That I need to Add in the NLB Port list If I am using the mangement Server for Streaming and the Clients Are connecting using RSTPS?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:11 AM
  • If You Could Pease tell me that What Eactly are the Ports That I need to Add in the NLB Port list If I am using the mangement Server for Streaming and the Clients Are connecting using RSTPS?

Only port TCP 322.

/Kalle
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Though it is not often necessary to load balance it, don't forget OSD and ICO file deployment.

If you're depolying these files using HTTP(s) or CIFS, you also may add 80, 443 and the CIFS ports to the ports rules.

However, because App-V should be the only function that your NLB cluster serves,´it should be fine to use the default (all ports) rule.

Falko
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:59 PM