Portal Top Queries by Month Did Not Have Much Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we have issue when we try to view Top Queries by Month at http://acme/_layouts/15/Reporting.aspx?Category=AnalyticsSiteCollection, we see the following data

I was hoping to see which items people were searching for. For example, I searched for “drive” a during the last 3 weeks, but I don’t see it in this search top queries by Month; February 2020.

Can you help?

Thanks

Tee

Thursday, March 5, 2020 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Tee,

You can use the Audit log reports to generate a custom report on search activities.

Please do as following:

1. Navigate to Site Settings > Site collection audit settings and check "Searching site content" under Lists, Libraries, and Sites.

2. Navigate to Site Settings > Audit log reports > Custom Reports > Run a custom report. Specify the File Location of the report and other restrictions for the report, then click OK.

The report should be formatted as:

Here’s your reference.

Configure audit data for a site collection.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/configure-audit-data-for-a-site-collection-a9920c97-38c0-44f2-8bcb-4cf1e2ae22d2#ID0EAADAAA=SharePoint_Server_2019,_2016,_2013

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 6, 2020 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Chelsea, quick question, user perform search from main portal and result take them to search center.

Do I need to turn Searching Site Content for portal site collection or search center site collection or both?

Thanks

Friday, March 6, 2020 4:02 PM
  • Hi Tee,

Auditing reports are Site Collection restricted.

If you want to generate a report for all the search activities from portal site collection, just enable auditing and Searching site content in the portal site collection.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, March 9, 2020 2:58 AM
  • Hi Tee,

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Thursday, March 12, 2020 1:20 AM
  • Thanks Chelsea, that settings generated search query data that we want.  Very odd, the settings "Search site content" that we set mysteriously unchecked every other day.  I don't think any other admin turn it off intentionally.  Is there something from SP that cause this setting uncheck?

Thanks

Tee

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:20 AM
  • Hi Tee,

If you are referring to the "Searching site content" setting under Configure Audit Settings > Lists, Libraries, and Sites > Specify the events to audit, normally it would not be unchecked automatically. You can check the recurring schedule of "Audit Log Trimming" timer job just in case, which is the only timer job related to auditing.

If you are referring to the settings under Audit log reports > Run a custom report, these settings need to be specified every time you run the report and cannot be saved.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:32 AM
  • This is the current setting, the current "Audit Log Trimming" set to No and I check this morning the "Search site content" was unchecked every 2 days. Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks

Monday, April 6, 2020 4:15 PM
  • Please help.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 8:59 PM
  • Hi Tee,

Is “Searching site content” the only option that gets unchecked automatically? Do you see this behavior in all the site collections?

I would suggest you check Windows Event Viewer log for SharePoint and SharePoint Health Analyzer via Central Administration > Monitoring > Review problems and solutions for potential error in the farm.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Thursday, April 9, 2020 1:52 AM
  • Chelsea, all 3 options including "Search site content" that I checked after one day they became unchecked and this occurred for other site collections as well.

Regards,

Friday, April 17, 2020 5:20 PM
  • Hi Tee,

I cannot reproduce this issue in my environment. Is there any error message in Event Viewer or ULS logs you can provide to troubleshoot this issue?

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 2:42 AM