Alternate Access Mapping and DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need some guidance here, please.

After I configure the Alternate Access Mapping options of a Web App, do I need to create an entry in the DNS with the new URL?

For example, If I change the "Intranet" URL do I need to create a new pointer to the DNS

Thanks in advanced

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DNS and AAM's both need to add up, along with the host header names within IIS.

When you create a web application SharePoint will manage the host header name within IIS and the AAM - however your need your AD guys to add the correct DNS entry into the domain.

Regards | Aaron www.aaron-rendell.co.uk | SharePoint Consultant | Microsoft Gold Partner - Silversands, Poole, Dorset, England
    • Marked as answer by efebo Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:37 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DNS and AAM's both need to add up, along with the host header names within IIS.

When you create a web application SharePoint will manage the host header name within IIS and the AAM - however your need your AD guys to add the correct DNS entry into the domain.

Regards | Aaron www.aaron-rendell.co.uk | SharePoint Consultant | Microsoft Gold Partner - Silversands, Poole, Dorset, England
    • Marked as answer by efebo Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:37 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Your browser need to find the server. That can either be done using a host file entry or DNS. AAM is on the SharePoint server only. It does not influence the name resolution of the browser machine.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Your browser need to find the server. That can either be done using a host file entry or DNS. AAM is on the SharePoint server only. It does not influence the name resolution of the browser machine.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.

Than u very much!
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:38 PM