Remote Management of Windows Deployment Services (WDS) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm running Windows Server 2012 (R2), WDS is installed and running fine.  My problem is I have to be on the server in order to use WDS when I'd like to be able to run WDS from my Windows 10 client via Server Manager.  Is that possible?  When I right-click the server in question the context menu doe NOT include the Windows Deployment Service.

Grateful for any advice.  Thanks.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> My problem is I have to be on the server in order to use WDS when I'd like to be able to run WDS from my Windows 10 client via Server Manager.  Is that possible?  When I right-click the server in question the context menu doe NOT include the Windows Deployment Service.

I test in my lab.It seems the remote server manager for win10 doesn't contain WDS tool.

So,you could try to use Remote Desktop Connection.

• Marked as answer by catablogger Friday, July 22, 2016 1:04 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> My problem is I have to be on the server in order to use WDS when I'd like to be able to run WDS from my Windows 10 client via Server Manager.  Is that possible?  When I right-click the server in question the context menu doe NOT include the Windows Deployment Service.

I test in my lab.It seems the remote server manager for win10 doesn't contain WDS tool.

So,you could try to use Remote Desktop Connection.

• Marked as answer by catablogger Friday, July 22, 2016 1:04 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Thanks Cartman, I feared that was the case.

I am using Remote Desktop now but trying to move away from this.  I have also tried to remotely manage WDS using powershell but it seems that isn't possible either, for example, a simple Get-WdsClient command returns 'The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated.'  Remotely using powershell for non-WDS functions, on the other hand, works fine as does running the same WDS command on the server locally.

I'll ask this question on the PowerShell forum instead.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:09 AM