none
Applying Overtime Hours to Expedite Work Progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am reviewing the works of a previous project executed last year. It was required to expedite the progress of a certain task and decrease its duration. Therefore overtime working hours were applied. The below two statuses are self-explanatory.

Status 1 shows the status of the work on 02 April 2015 while Status 2 shows the status on 09 April 2015 with overtime working hours. The progress for the Overtime working hours Status 2 were done on assignment level and not on a task one. 

I shall appreciate your input and or your comments if there is a way to record the progress (% Complete) with overtime working hours on Task level.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Basil

Status 1 - April 2, 2015

Task Name Start Finish Duration Work Baseline Variance Actual Remaining Overtime Work % W. Comp. % Complete
    Compaction of Imported Clay Material Sat 14-03-15 Thu 23-04-15 34 days 1,904 hrs 2,016 hrs -112 hrs 952 hrs 952 hrs 0 hrs 50% 50%

Status 2 - April 9, 2015 with OT hours

Task Name Start Finish Duration Work Baseline Variance Actual Remaining Overtime Work % W. Comp. % Complete
    Compaction of Imported Clay Material Sat 14-03-15 Tue 21-04-15 31.92 days 1,856 hrs 2,016 hrs -160 hrs 1,302 hrs 554 hrs 70 hrs 70% 71%

• Edited by Basil Issa Friday, May 20, 2016 10:28 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 5:32 AM

All replies

• So what's the question? Compacting clay is not something easily sped up unless you lay in thin layers with extra compacting equipment. Once the clay is already laid, time and dry weather are most important. Extra equipment may not help much.

Yes overtime does reduce duration, but I don't understand what question you are asking.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Thanks Rod for your response.

I am using MS Project 2013.

My question was not about the method statement of compacting clay. I was asking if there is a way to record the progress (% Complete) with overtime working hours on Task level rather than assignment level. To give you more details, the calculation of the progress in status 2 above, in the presence of OT hours, was calculated through the below process:

1- On View Tab, go to Task view group and task usage command.

2- On view tab, go to split view group and check in details command.

3- On Task form; the Actual hours, Remaining hours and OT hours were added. After entering OK, % of complete was obtained and the new duration was calculated by the software.

The above process recorded the progress on assignment level.

My question, Is there a way to record progress on Task Level?. i.e. Through Task Tab , Schedule group and then on Mark on Track-Update Task with the presence of OT hours.

Hope this will clarify the subject.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:02 AM