Dead session with dead processes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Technet guys

we have sometimes users which cannot be logged off or the processes be killed. The users are connected to the Windows Terminal Server (W2K8R2) latest patches installed. They connecting with Citrix XenApp 6.5 to the Windows Terminal Server. We did find out that one user is switching between networks and one of the networks is behind a proxy. So when the user switches the network and tries to connect to his session again. His session like dead. It's not possible with Administrator rights to logoff this user or kill his open processes.

The only way to get rid of this problem is to reboot the server. But this is not a good solution

Does anyone of you have expirienced similiar issue, may even just with RDP?

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Reto

I have exactly the same isue. But not with switching the Network.
    When i logged on to the identified Server with the dead session. I can see just 3 processes from the user (csrss.exe, winlogon.exe & LogonUI.exe). I can kill the session when i kill the process "winlogon.exe".

We also have 2008R2 with XenApp 6.5.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi Reto,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Here I can suggest you to enable the group policy setting and check the result. For this you can enable following policy.

Set time limit for active but idle Remote Desktop Services sessions
    Terminate session when time limits are reached

This can be found on following path.
    Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Session Time Limits

User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Session Time Limits

More information.
    Configure Timeout and Reconnection Settings for Remote Desktop Services Sessions
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754272.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:51 AM
  • This is not working in this case

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:21 AM
  • This is not a possible solution for us. Cause we do not want that user get logged off, when he is not working let's say for about 8 hours or 2 days. 

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:23 AM