none
MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM and colocation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2010 and I'm getting an error about the LDM database nearing its threshold.  Here is the info I get through Powershell:

Total disks          : 5

Total volumes        : 730

Total extents        : 1106

Total data sources   : 482

Number of non-colocated data sources that can still be added: -65

I read a few different posts that you can use MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM in Powershell to move datasources with a lot of extents to different volumes to free up slots.  However all the info that I read assumes that you are not using colocated data sources.  So my question is how do I tackle this problem if I am using coloated data sources.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi

DPM 2010 can protect up to 300 Data soources and you are using 482.

You need to move those PG that are having the most Data source to a new server.

What powershell script you used to get the restults?

// Laith.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Unfortunately, all the datasources are in one PG.  Like a lot of other customers, we have lots of small SQL databases that DPM doesn't seem to be designed for.  The script I used is found here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/03/30/what-volume-to-migrate-first.aspx.

So there is no way to migrate data sources to a new volume if you are colocating data?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:51 PM
  • So you have all your servers protected by one PG?

I have over than 200 servers protecting over than 500 SQL databases.

Think of DPM as Data Protection program not a backup program. The best way to design you PG is by deviding them according to the data type not by machine.

EX: you have SQL Server and you want to protect it.

So you create the following PG

Server1 - C ( to prectect the C drive)

Server1 - System State (To protect the System State)

Server1 - SQL databases (To protect the SQL databases)

If you have more than one server that are hosting SQL databases then you change your PG as

C

System State

SQL databases

Make sure the time is different in each PG. by deviding them this way it will be easy to create a new DPM server and migrate some of the data sources to it. The sooner you do that the better. You will face alot of problems overloading the DPM. I faced that and i migrated them to a new DPM server.

Hope that helps.

Laith.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:32 AM
  • I appreciate the info.  However, this one PG is only SQL databases.  I understand that I will need to add a new DPM server but I still have not found out how to migrate data sources when using colocation.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:19 PM