Outlook 2016 just started crashing - even in safe mode RRS feed

All replies

• Hello,

As you have tried many things, but didn't find the solution. Please try the following solutions to resolve your problem:

Solution 1: Check the Current Version number of your MS Outlook 2016?
    You can find it as:
    1. Go to File >> Account and you will get the version number and build number there.
    2. Now, open Run dialog box by pressing Win + R.
    3. According to you system, type one of the following commands:
    for 64-bit version:
    %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64\OfficeClickToRun.exe” /update user updatetoversion=(version)

for 32-bit version:
    %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86\OfficeClickToRun.exe” /update user updatetoversion=(version)

4. A prompt will appear, now select Repair Office option.

Solution 2: Disable Add-ins
    Sometimes MS Outlook opens slowly or crashes.As your Outlook is already in safe mode, now disable the add-ins:
    1. Select CTRL key and open Outlook 2016.
    2. Now, go to the File tab >> Select Manage Add-Ins.
    3. Disable all the active Add-ins.
    Now, restart Outlook again.

Solution 3: Check Internet Security and Anti-virus
    There are several Internet Security programs and anti-virus software which create lots of registry entries. These programs even alternate the settings of other applications like Outlook 2016. There are many anti-virus software that causes crashing errors in MS Outlook. 
    So, please check the Internet Security and Anti-virus and disable the Host IPS in its settings.

Hope this will help you and your Outlook will be error free. 

Feel free to ask for further queries.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kelvin Howard
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:00 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue today, Yesterday I noticed the same on another colleagues computer. I've tried repairing, reinstalling and reinstalling. ost repair all to no avail.

After a look online this seems to be affecting a number of people in recent days.

Anyone got a resolve?

Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:20 PM
  • Hi HDBNZ & Adam,

Please try Kelvin's suggestion to fix the issue. If it doesn't work, please collect the detailed Outlook 2016 version number: In Outlook, click File > Office Account > About Outlook.

Additionally, you can refer to the following article to check if you are in the same scenario as listed in Outlook known issue list:

Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Outlook for Windows

Also confirm if any updates are installed recently.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

You can perform a clean boot to determine if background programs are interfering with Outlook:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135#appliesto

Does this issue persist after creating a new Profile?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918/en-us

Apart from above mentioned article, I would like to suggest some troubleshooting tips to help Outlook Users 
    http://www.solutions.microsoftostconverter.com/blog/five-tips-to-help-microsoft-outlook-users.html

Hope it might help you !!
    Cheers !!
    • Edited by aliceaggie Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi HDBNZ & Adam,

How is going about the issue? Recently, some users report that Outlook 2016 crashes when using both IMAP account and Exchange account in Outlook. 

I am not sure if that is your scenario since there is no updates here about your Outlook version number and account type information. Just share the recent Outlook 2016 crashing issue discussion to you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-crahes/d0528755-6495-4a9f-b8fb-cd5c9a1fd53a

Hope it helps :)

Please remember to <strong>mark the replies as answers</strong> if they helped. <p></p> <p>If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.</p>

Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    If my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to close the thread. It will help other who have the similar issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 7:47 AM