Potential Employer RRS feed

• General discussion

• How well would you trust a potential employer who is a consultant for Microsoft products if they don't know what Powershell is?
    Bits of Fury
    • Changed type Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:18 PM Very broad topic, and good discussion
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• In my opinion, that certainly might be a red flag.  But really, it may be that they are simply much stronger and have focused more in another area that is just as important.  It's impossible to be an expert in everything. 
    Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I think that if you need some one very skilled in server product like SharePoint or SQL Server don't need to worry about powershell.

I agree with Kevin: "It's impossible to be an expert in everything.

Claudio Riefolo
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:36 PM
  • This is true!
    Bits of Fury
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:54 PM
  • If you need someone skilled in SharePoint or SQL they may not know Powershell, but they should know that it exists :)
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Is that employer a Microsoft Partner?  How many MCSE or MSITP certified people do they have employed there?  In my opinion this is where certification becomes important.  It's not just about how much detail you know, but that you at least have exposure to the current trends and technologies, and would have the capacity to drill down deeper should the need arise. 

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Like Kevin said, it's impossible to be an expert on everything and know every MS product (unless you are Vulcan)

With all respect to the very good, very smart and very experienced MS and Cisco certified professionals, I would not just go by that criteria. I have met some certified 'professionals' who were absolutely clueless. They sould have been certified for brain dumps  (copies of the exams available on the Internet)

Definitely certifications should play a role but you should also ask for a list of references, clients, etc. If you plan on working for them, find out how long they have been in business, who their clients are, how their financials look, talk to other employees, Google the compant, check the local BBB.

Once I got a job in an IT firm where there were lots of seasoned pros. I thought I was going to get mentors. Instead the firms closed down 6 month later and left me hanging with a month's pay. Just because they are not aware of Powershell, does not bean they are not business savvy or technically proficient.

Miguel

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS
    Computer and Network Service and Support, Miami, Fl

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:39 PM