Server Virtualisation Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This is my first look at server virtualization, so I might have some questions that can be answered through a site or something, if you could please just drop a link for me to read up, or calculate what I need to.

The story is we currently have 5 servers, a DC, Data server, Terminal server x 2, VPN server.  Our email is currently running on a PC. *shiver* 

Next year I plan to upgrade/replace/redeploy all our server's. 

The DC will get upgraded and keep its role, the Data server will become our email server, and the rest will be replaced.

I was thinking about vitalising the remaining 4 servers into two, one for Data and VPN, the other for the two TS servers.  All running Server 2008. We will have SQL 2008 as the DB app on the DB server.

On this I have a few questions

·     For such a few server does virtualisation make sense.

·     Does my split make sense?

·     How do I calculate my hardware requirements?

·     Which virtualisation application is the best to use, would Microsoft Hyper-V the best option?

I am sure I will have more questions as answers to these questions roll in but I will address them as they arise.

Thank you in advance

A user needs the admin password like nitro glycerine needs a good shake.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

If I was planning a new network now with your requirements I would definatly recommend the client looks at virtualisation. so YES for a few servers virtualisation does make sense.

- Does the split make sense / Calculate Hardware Requirements / which Hypervisor do you need ?

There are many products out there on the market, the leading 3 being VMware, Citrix and Microsoft, all 3 of them have their own software which you can run to evaluate server load and help plan your virtualised data center,

All 3 of them have differnt feature sets, microsoft have reviewed themselves up against vmware and you can see results here http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/microsoft-advantage.asp x  its microsofts own site so might be a little one sided, :P

As this is a microsoft forum i'll leave the other 2 brands alone i'm sure you can google them,The microsoft tool is the Microsoft assesment and planning toolkit, which you can get from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=67240b76-3148-4e49-943d-4d9ea7f77730

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

If I was planning a new network now with your requirements I would definatly recommend the client looks at virtualisation. so YES for a few servers virtualisation does make sense.

- Does the split make sense / Calculate Hardware Requirements / which Hypervisor do you need ?

There are many products out there on the market, the leading 3 being VMware, Citrix and Microsoft, all 3 of them have their own software which you can run to evaluate server load and help plan your virtualised data center,

All 3 of them have differnt feature sets, microsoft have reviewed themselves up against vmware and you can see results here http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/microsoft-advantage.asp x  its microsofts own site so might be a little one sided, :P

As this is a microsoft forum i'll leave the other 2 brands alone i'm sure you can google them,The microsoft tool is the Microsoft assesment and planning toolkit, which you can get from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=67240b76-3148-4e49-943d-4d9ea7f77730

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Thanx Ian, that helped alot.

Cheers

A user needs the admin password like nitro glycerine needs a good shake.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Check out the Cisco UCS C-200 M1's and the 210 with EMC SAN.

We are currently running ESX on the 210, which has 2 linux VMs, a DC, and an Apache Server for intranet sites. VMs is the way to go. I can sit at home VPN in, and create and configure VMs. 

Just a recommendation for ESX server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10516/index.html

Brian Tissue
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:02 PM
  • - ... Calculate Hardware Requirements ...

The most important point is this one.  You need to understand the requirements and load of your servers prior to virtualizing.  CPU, RAM, and disk IO should be your focus.  You can gather this data from perfmon.  Most of the tools provided by vmware, liquidware, etc are just apps that gather Windows perfmon data.  Disk IO is generally the bottleneck for all virtualization initiatives.  You must make sure that you have enough spindles of disks to generate at least what your servers are using right now or you will experience performance issues - However, throttling some servers on disk to save money may be an acceptable cost.  Also, averaging your IO rather than accomodating peak IO may also be acceptable to you.

While I agree that you should look at virtualization, I think you should consider leaving your SQL server outside of virtualization.  This really depends on how much cpu/ram/io your SQL server uses.  In my experience it's more efficient to put multiple instances of SQL on the same server rather than put multiple SQL server VMs on the same box.  Of course, both cases assume you have enough disk IO and RAM to handle your workload.

Regarding Hypervisor, it depends.  ESX will give you the best performance, but Hyper-v is generally cheaper if you are looking at the full-featured version of ESX (Vmotion, DRS, HA, etc).  ESXi is actually free if you don't need these features.  If you're not doing much overcommit of RAM Hyper-V performs fine in the lab. Also, theres the question of strategy:  Hyper-V will most likely become a major competitor with ESX in the coming years.  Personally, I think Windows Servers on ESXi hosts is the way to go right now, but that will probably change sooner than later.

To summarize: no easy answers, but welcome to the party.  Virtualization will probably change how you think about your infrastructure.

http://twitter.com/toenuff
    write-host ((0..56)|%{if (($_+1)%3 -eq 0){[char][int]("116111101110117102102064103109097105108046099111109"[($_-2)..$_] -join "")}}) -separator ""
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:47 AM