none
Reference image for Windows Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created a reference image for Windows Server 2019 using MDT 8450, which is not the latest version. I just realized there is a new MDT version out since beginning of this year.

It's the first time I created a reference image for a server edition, before I created quite a lot of reference images for Windows 7 or Windows 10.

I modify the built in administrator account and use the copyprofile switch. For that I created a unattend.xml just with the switch in it. I run sysprep /generalize /oobe /unattend:with the xml file.

I activate Windows with the KMS key. I think this is necessary to modify more setting which I want in the default profile. I tested it and it appears to work fine, my modification were retained with new user logins.

However I had to do some more modification and now Windows Server refuses to activate using the KMS key. I think that the key was blocked / has reached a limit.

Now I'm in doubt, if I should activate Windows at all during the creation phase of the reference image. What is the best practice? Could the problem be related that the MDT version I used 8450 doesn't support Windows Server 2019. Probably server edition has less allowed activation count than desktop edition. I do also have a MAK key, but using this key, Windows responds it is not a correct key. I know it is correct, I have it from the MS VL site.

Thanks,

Edy

Edy from Switzerland

Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:41 PM

All replies

• I'm a little confused when you say you are activating using a "KMS Key". The KMS client keys are built-in to all VL copys of Windows and would activate against either a KMS server or Active Directory depending on you choice of setup of the KMS server. You would only ever use your KMS Key on a KMS Server and you should only have one or two of these. Then you VL clients (server and workstations) would active against the KMS server without requires the use of a key during install/setup. I sounds look you used up all the activation's for you KMS Server key.

HTH

Dave

Dave Barker

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm confused too. But I have found out something.

More than half year ago I installed the first Windows Server 2019 and I must have used a KMS key. The server activated at that time and still is. Apparently the server has gotten the role KMS server. During my tests with MDT and Windows Server 2019 I noticed that it activated using the company KMS server. I was surprised since I was not aware of any KMS server in the organization, but didn't pay much attention of it as long it worked. :)

I realised it since in the DNS server I found the SRV _vlmcs record pointing to that server.

I also think the activation count has reached now the limit of the KMS key.

I read about KMS host key and client key. The key shown in MSVLP is the host key. The client key is build in as you said.

However how can a server become a KMS host? As far as I know the role "Volume Activation Service" needs to be installed. I checked it and the server which was installed with the KMS key has the role not installed.

Thanks,

Edy from Switzerland

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:22 PM