Alt-tab icon list is not always on top in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having some trouble with the aero peek functionality using alt-tab with Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

When the aero peek is displayed it covers the alt-tab icon list. In other words, the alt-tab icon list is moved to the background and does not stay in front of the aero peeks. The issue can be temporarily solved by logging out and back in, but after a couple minutes it starts again.

It's very strange because other than the fact that the list is on the background hidden behind the active peek, the mouse hover functionality to change peeks works perfectly. Just picture that you are hovering the pointer over where the list is supposed to be and the peeks change.

I have tried doing a repair installation of the OS (by selecting upgrade from the windows 7 installation disk) and no luck. I've also tried doing a registry edit of the key that changes the time it takes for the peek to pop up but after 10 minutes it went back to the undesired behavior. I also read somewhere that with a new user profile the issue could be solved, but that didn't help in my case. I've looked everywhere for a solution to this but in the forums I've checked the issue is still pending. Has anyone seen or experienced this bug?

I'm using a Lenovo X200 tablet with all drivers up to date.

Thanks for your help!

Jorge

Monday, May 3, 2010 2:58 AM

Answers

• After trying every possible option without success (getting the latest drivers, enabling and disabling aero and creating a new user profile), I ended up doing a clean install of the OS. The funny thing is that after booting up for the first time and running all windows updates and Lenovo's System Update, the bug showed up again! I did another run at the clean install, this time I let windows update take care of all the drivers it could and after windows update was done I installed only a few of the Lenovo System Updates (Drivers for hardware that were still missing from device manager and some Thinkvantage Tools) but one at the time. The alt tab is working fine now, staying on top of the peeks.

The key this time was that I did not install the following drivers and updates from the Lenovo System Update:

• All windows update modules downloadable via Lenovo System Update
    • Thinkvantage communications utility
    • Intel Wireless Wifi for Windows 7 32 bit
    • Lenovo integrated camera device driver for Windows
    • Thinkvantage Access Connections for Windows 7
    • Conexant audio features for Windows 7
    • Access help for Thinkpad x200 Tablet
    • ThinkPad BIOS update for windows xp/vista/7 32 bit

For some reason I believe the BIOS update is the culprit but I did not have the patience to do a third clean install in case I was right!

There is certainly something wrong with one of those updates. A friend of mine just upgraded to Windows 7 (clen install) with a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 Tablet just like mine and installed everything from the Lenovo System Update and sure enough it started showing the same alt tab behavior.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Cheers,

Jorge

• Marked as answer by Jorge Szabo Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:23 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:23 AM

All replies

• hey, good catch, this would absolutely a code bug. Would you please file a code bug to Windows 7 UI in product studio?

Why I think it is a bug? plus suggested resolutions

Personal Analysis:
    When computer in a aero mode (merely works in Ultimate), its layer is utmost, no matter how alt-tab works, first sight you get at a glance will be aero effectiveness. Yeah, you would probably say it's not convinient to switch between different processes. To fix this problem, three solutions are provided:

1. Give a wait (around 2 seconds) while behaviors by alt-tab (Recommonded) 
        2 seconds later, aero effectiveness in alt-tab region disappears, that is dissolution, thus, people could freely select any process they want in the region.

2. Dbl-click the region launched by alt-tab, then aero effectiveness disabled in this specific region, but still works in other region.

3. Give a checkbox about Aero setting in system properties. The option "Disabled Aero Effectiveness while Alt-Tab is enabled", the checkbox is by default unchecked.

Another question: did you try peer conbined function keys, tab-forward and tad-afterward? Are they experienced the same bug?
    Monday, May 3, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Guo, I'm sorry but I couldn't follow the instructions provided. I couldn't find any reference to aero effectiveness or the system properties checkbox "Disabled Aero Effectiveness while Alt-Tab is enabled" can you please elaborate a little more on the solution?

The behavior is the same when I press ctrl - alt - tab or alt - shift - tab. The icon list always goes to the background and the peek comes to the front.

Cheers,

J

Monday, May 3, 2010 4:44 PM
  • After trying every possible option without success (getting the latest drivers, enabling and disabling aero and creating a new user profile), I ended up doing a clean install of the OS. The funny thing is that after booting up for the first time and running all windows updates and Lenovo's System Update, the bug showed up again! I did another run at the clean install, this time I let windows update take care of all the drivers it could and after windows update was done I installed only a few of the Lenovo System Updates (Drivers for hardware that were still missing from device manager and some Thinkvantage Tools) but one at the time. The alt tab is working fine now, staying on top of the peeks.

The key this time was that I did not install the following drivers and updates from the Lenovo System Update:

• All windows update modules downloadable via Lenovo System Update
    • Thinkvantage communications utility
    • Intel Wireless Wifi for Windows 7 32 bit
    • Lenovo integrated camera device driver for Windows
    • Thinkvantage Access Connections for Windows 7
    • Conexant audio features for Windows 7
    • Access help for Thinkpad x200 Tablet
    • ThinkPad BIOS update for windows xp/vista/7 32 bit

For some reason I believe the BIOS update is the culprit but I did not have the patience to do a third clean install in case I was right!

There is certainly something wrong with one of those updates. A friend of mine just upgraded to Windows 7 (clen install) with a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 Tablet just like mine and installed everything from the Lenovo System Update and sure enough it started showing the same alt tab behavior.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Cheers,

Jorge

• Marked as answer by Jorge Szabo Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:23 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:23 AM
  • My system is Asus UL30A with Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Same issue here. I did nothing, everything were installed by Asus (Windows and drivers) and I did not perform any upgrade at all. Therefore, there should be something with Windows 7 that appears in certain hardware because my other notebook Lenovo G530 just works fine with Windows 7 x86.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I am also experiencing this problem. The admin user works fine but other users are having issues with Alt-Tab. I have Windows 7 SP1 32-bit. My PC is not a Lenovo and I have no Lenovo drivers or other software installed or other listed drivers.

This seems to be a quite common problem (bug) with Windows 7 since there are many other reports of this behaviour on the Internet with completely random solutions like getting a new mouse or unplugging the monitor.

I tryed out something: I added some widgets to the desktop in the admin user and the problem started after a few seconds. Then I removed all the widgets and the problem went away. My guess is it has something to do with desktop widgets.

• Proposed as answer by AustinAjit Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:47 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:56 PM