Windows 7 - Printing Blank Pages RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey,

Our organisation has recently had an influx of users who are unable to print from any website classified in IE as "Internet". I've read a lot of the forum posts relating to this and all point to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479

Now, we've applied this fix to machines and it hasn't rectified the problem. So I investigated this myself. I found the following:

When the user attempts to print, the "Low" folder is deleted.

Re-creating the Low folder and setting the setintegritylevel to low, then attempting to print, again deletes the "Low" folder.

I wrote the following script which will check if the "Low" folder exists, creates it if it doesn't then applies the Integritylevel to Low.

If not exist %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low (
     mkdir %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low
    )

ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Now, as the low folder is deleted every time the user attempts to print, I figured perhaps it's a permission problem, allowing the user to delete the folder.

Running the following command would remove inheritance from the "Low" folder:

ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /Inheritance:d

I would then REMOVE the user account from "Delete" and "Delete Subfolders and files" permissions.

This allows the user to print successfully, without problems, even after reboots.

Now that the background of my question is out of the way..

Does Microsoft have a PERMANENT fix for this? This solution is NOT acceptable for our organisation as the problem is occurring more and more often. Adding the script to a login script is not acceptable as it still requires manual changes to the permissions. ICACLS will not set the required permissions to allow this to be scripted, as there isn't an option to remove only the "Delete" permissions.

Thanks,

Shayne.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, you can submit this issue via Windows 7 Feedback.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:28 AM