none
RAID 1 drives not seen in SBS 2003

Question

• We've had many problems since the CMOS battery failed, including problems with DNS errors, AD and Exchange not working and file and print sharing services not working. I believe I need to fix the RAID issue first, since it's keeping me from accessing other parts of the OS installation.

I've put a new battery into the server and reset everything (including the date), but now the RAID doesn't work correctly. The RAID (Level 1) controller shows that the drives are fine (and both RAID sets are bootable) during the POST, though it does state that the DATA array needs to be repaired, and it will do that within Windows. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't recognize the RAID drives.

SBS 2003 doesn't see our "DATA" drives and won't boot if the Intel ICH6R controller is set to RAID in the BIOS. If I try to boot it that way, I get an "NTLDR is missing" error, and I have to reboot. The NTLDR file is there , because if I set the drives to SATA (instead of RAID), I can boot just fine--I just can't access the DATA drives, and end up with two "SERVER" drives (C and F). I also copied the NTLDR file from the duplicate "F" drive (from the broken RAID) and replaced the one on C. Didn't help.

Intel's RAID software doesn't load in Windows, and if I try to re-install it, it says the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. I presume this is because the RAID controller isn't active, though the controller chip is obviously on the motherboard.

I've tried Microsoft's suggestions for "NTLDR is missing" errors (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816793 ), but none of them worked. Again, since the NTLDR file is there and I can boot fine when the BIOS is set to the "SATA" drive configuration, I believe this error is "bogus" and more related to the RAID configuration than anything else. I've seen this before when other RAIDs are reset to SATA, but what has worked for me in the past isn't working here.

Ubuntu Linux 10.04 sees the SERVER and DATA drives just fine if I set the BIOS to RAID and use the Intel RAID controller. It boots to the Live CD and I'm able to mount the DATA drives.

Should I try one of the other "fakeRAID" implementations on the mobo? There are two others (IT8212 and Silicon Image), and Windows has the drivers installed for them, but I didn't know if hooking the drives up to the other SATA ports on the mobo and using a different RAID "controller" would cause problems with the data.

This is an emergency, so if anyone has any ideas, I'll try them. I need to get this running as soon as possible! I can get into Windows as long as I don't set the BIOS for RAID, so if you need anything from the Event log, please let me know.

Thanks!

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
    Asus P5AD2-E Premium motherboard
    Intel ICH6R RAID controller
    4 SATA drives: 2 "SERVER" and 2 "DATA" (RAID 1 configuration)

Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• If you have not worked this out, my suggestion is to make a image backup with a bootable CD Rom of a product such as Shadow Protect or Acronis.  Then, no matter what you do, you have a copy of the drives in the condition they are now in, which is the best you can hope for.  With that, and your SBS produced backups, your data should be good.

Since there is apparantly no documentation for the orginal type of RAID controller, all you can do is try them one at a time.  If you have the luxury of a spare empty drive to use, I might take out one of the existing drives for safe keeping and do the trial boot as though one of the drives had gone missing.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue  so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

We've had many problems since the CMOS battery failed, including
    problems with DNS errors, AD and Exchange not working and file and
    print sharing services not working. I believe I need to fix the RAID
    issue first, since it's keeping me from accessing other parts of the
    OS installation.

I've put a new battery into the server and reset everything (including
    the date), but now the RAID doesn't work correctly. The RAID (Level 1)
    controller shows that the drives are fine (and all 4 are bootable)
    during the POST, though it does state that the DATA array needs to be
    repaired, and it will do that within Windows. Unfortunately, Windows
    doesn't recognize the RAID drives.

SBS 2003 doesn't see our "DATA" drives and won't boot if the Intel
    ICH6R controller is set to RAID in the BIOS. If I try to boot it that
    way, I get an "NTLDR is missing" error, and I have to reboot. The
    NTLDR file is there
    , because if I set the drives to SATA (instead of
    RAID), I can boot just fine--I just can't access the DATA drives, and
    end up with two "SERVER" drives (C and F). I also copied the NTLDR
    file from the duplicate "F" drive (from the broken RAID) and replaced
    the one on C. Didn't help.

Intel's RAID software doesn't load in Windows, and if I try to
    re-install it, it says the system doesn't meet the minimum
    requirements for installing the software. I presume this is because
    the RAID controller isn't active, though the controller chip is
    obviously on the motherboard.

I've tried Microsoft's suggestions for "NTLDR is missing" errors
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816793 ), but none of them worked.
    Again, since the NTLDR file is there and I can boot fine when the BIOS
    is set to the "SATA" drive configuration, I believe this error is
    "bogus" and more related to the RAID configuration than anything else.
    I've seen this before when other RAIDs are reset to SATA, but what has
    worked for me in the past isn't working here.

Should I try one of the other "fakeRAID" implementations on the mobo?
    There are two others (IT8212 and Silicon Image), and Windows has the
    drivers installed for them, but I didn't know if hooking the drives up
    to the other SATA ports on the mobo and using a different RAID
    "controller" would cause problems with the data.

This is an emergency, so if anyone has any ideas, I'll try them. I
    need to get this running as soon as possible! I can get into Windows
    as long as I don't set the BIOS for RAID, so if you need anything from
    the Event log, please let me know.

Thanks!

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

Larry Struckmeyer
    • Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by PlanetE Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:02 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Have you tried kb325375 : "How to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows Server 2003"?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325375/

The “Last Known Good Configuration” option has worked for me with RAID issues in the past.

It restores the “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet” registry key to the last one that successfully booted the system.. Unfortunately in your case that was in the “non-raid” setting.

You may be able to manually copy the “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet” registry key from the F drive to the C drive.. As Windows would have ONLY written to the ‘active registry’ on the drive it booted from.

• Unmarked as answer by PlanetE Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:02 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Shot in the dark
    Swap the RAID 1 Drives
    I assume you have a back up of all this before you move one?
    If not get Shadow Protect  even the trial and Do a Image)

Try this in the RAID 1 Boot set.

Swap DISK 0 to DISK 1 and Vice Versa
    See if it boots then
    RUss

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com
    "PlanetE" wrote in message news:04391f22-26e4-41ff-ac07-b674f749a066@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

We've had many problems since the CMOS battery failed, including problems with DNS errors, AD and Exchange not working and file and print sharing services not working. I believe I need to fix the RAID issue first, since it's keeping me from accessing other parts of the OS installation.

I've put a new battery into the server and reset everything (including the date), but now the RAID doesn't work correctly. The RAID (Level 1) controller shows that the drives are fine (and both RAID sets are bootable) during the POST, though it does state that the DATA array needs to be repaired, and it will do that within Windows. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't recognize the RAID drives.

SBS 2003 doesn't see our "DATA" drives and won't boot if the Intel ICH6R controller is set to RAID in the BIOS. If I try to boot it that way, I get an "NTLDR is missing" error, and I have to reboot./The NTLDR file is there/ , because if I set the drives to SATA (instead of RAID), I can boot just fine--I just can't access the DATA drives, and end up with two "SERVER" drives (C and F). I also copied the NTLDR file from the duplicate "F" drive (from the broken RAID) and replaced the one on C. Didn't help.

Intel's RAID software doesn't load in Windows, and if I try to re-install it, it says the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. I presume this is because the RAID controller isn't active, though the controller chip is obviously on the motherboard.

I've tried Microsoft's suggestions for "NTLDR is missing" errors (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816793 ), but none of them worked. Again, since the NTLDR file is there and I can boot fine when the BIOS is set to the "SATA" drive configuration, I believe this error is "bogus" and more related to the RAID configuration than anything else. I've seen this before when other RAIDs are reset to SATA, but what has worked for me in the past isn't working here.

Ubuntu Linux 10.04 sees the SERVER and DATA drives just fine if I set the BIOS to RAID and use the Intel RAID controller. It boots to the Live CD and I'm able to mount the DATA drives.

Should I try one of the other "fakeRAID" implementations on the mobo? There are two others (IT8212 and Silicon Image), and Windows has the drivers installed for them, but I didn't know if hooking the drives up to the other SATA ports on the mobo and using a different RAID "controller" would cause problems with the data.

This is an emergency, so if anyone has any ideas, I'll try them. I need to get this running as soon as possible! I can get into Windows as long as I don't set the BIOS for RAID, so if you need anything from the Event log, please let me know.

Thanks!

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com
    • Unmarked as answer by PlanetE Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:01 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Thanks, everyone.

Unfortunately, not one of the suggestions offered would work, as I couldn't get to things like "Last Known Good Configuration", and the other RAID drive wouldn't boot at all.

Ultimately, I had to rebuild the system. Fortunately, the data was safe.

Thanks again.

Steve
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:04 AM