Save Theme command not present in Right-Click Context Menu or Personalization GUI RRS feed

• Question

• I basically don't have the ability to do either of these:
    Save Theme in GUI (url:http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/getthemes.png)
    Right-Click Context Menu (url:http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/saveforsharing.png)

What I have is this:
    My Personalization Screen (url:http://www.overclock.net/attachments/windows/136200d1262939644-cant-save-themes-windows-7-capture.png)

The above link is what my current Personalization menu looks like.

I think the problem lies somewhere in the AppData folder. I use a seperate hard drive to store my user settings, when I change the User Shell Folders to the corresponding created folders on the other drive, this option disappears. Even after copying every file (within windows), it still does not appear. If I change the User Shell Paths back to the original paths using " %USERPROFILE%/folderpathhere " it works and shows up again. I obviously don't want to have to use the default path.

This is extremely annoying, is there a resolution or command that would be able to fix this?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:54 AM

Answers

• I think I have reproduced your exact problem. I've redirected my LocalAppData folder from %USERNAME%\AppData\Local to C:\MyLocalAppData and then tried to customize the default Windows Aero theme.

The result is that the theme goes to "Installed themes" instead of going to "My Themes", and therefore you cannot save the theme.

This is the explanation of this problem: When you customize a theme, a new Custom.theme file is created in the %USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Themes directory. As I redirected the LocalAppData folder, the file is created in C:\MyLocalAppData.

The problem is that Windows 7 populates the My Themes section of the Personalization window with themes that are in one of this two locations:

- X:\User\Username and any subfolder (where X is the drive letter where Windows 7 is installed)
    - Documents folder (by default C:\Users\Username\Documents, but it can be redirected elsewere).

As you see, they didn't take into account the case of a user redirecting his/her LocalAppData folder. Couldn't you live with your custom themes inside "Installed themes"? You could change the name "Unsaved theme" following this tip by MVP Vishal Gupta: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-show-actual-theme-name-in-windows-7-desktop-properties/ 
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:16 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• [OCN]GH0,

Thanks for using Microsoft Answers!

I'm moving this thread to the Windows 7 User Interface forums in the TechNet community, they'll be able to better assist you there.

Cody C
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Try to choose one of the Aero themes, then modify some part of it, like color or sounds, and see if the save option returns.  Also, my themes show up under My Themes, not Installed Themes as in your screenshot.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:46 AM
  • Trying to do that, it turned my Unsaved Theme from what it was, into the changed Aero Theme. I was still not able to save anything.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:48 PM
  • This is an interesting problem.

The "Save theme" option appears when the theme is selected (you have to click on the theme) and it is placed under the "My Themes" group.

Windows 7 places a theme under the "My Themes" group based on its path. It needs to be in any subfolder of the user profile folder (by default C:\Users\Username) or in any subfolder of the Documents folder (in case the user redirected the Documents folder outside of the user profile).

The problem is that the user profile folder is categorized as a "fixed folder" by Windows and it cannot be redirected (see KF_CATEGORY_FIXED here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762512(VS.85).aspx. Now see FOLDERID_Profile here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762584(VS.85).aspx).

I suppose your system is searching for themes under C:\Users\Username but it cannot find any because you've redirected the Users folder.

Try to place your custom themes under your Documents folder (it can be redirected anywhere). They should appear under "My Themes" and the system should let you save them.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:57 PM
    Answerer
  • I am not really following you Daniel. I don't see any theme files under my original User Path (C:\). Nor do I see any under my new User Path (H:\).

If you are talking about the file path:
    G:\Andrew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

That already exists and themes are already placed there. Currently, I have the following Theme Files.

AU
    CA
    Custom
    GB
    ZA

The files in this file path:
    C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Custom

Searching the user folder, I only had two file paths that held the word theme.

Would creating the FolderUID in the new file path solve the problem?

Monday, January 11, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I am not really following you Daniel. I don't see any theme files under my original User Path (C:\). Nor do I see any under my new User Path (H:\).

If you are talking about the file path:
    G:\Andrew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

That already exists and themes are already placed there. Currently, I have the following Theme Files.

AU
    CA
    Custom
    GB
    ZA

The files in this file path:
    C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Custom

Searching the user folder, I only had two file paths that held the word theme.

Would creating the FolderUID in the new file path solve the problem?

What folders did you move to another drive? Describe also the steps you followed (which were the exact registry keys you edited, etc.).
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:12 AM
    Answerer
  • I think I have reproduced your exact problem. I've redirected my LocalAppData folder from %USERNAME%\AppData\Local to C:\MyLocalAppData and then tried to customize the default Windows Aero theme.

The result is that the theme goes to "Installed themes" instead of going to "My Themes", and therefore you cannot save the theme.

This is the explanation of this problem: When you customize a theme, a new Custom.theme file is created in the %USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Themes directory. As I redirected the LocalAppData folder, the file is created in C:\MyLocalAppData.

The problem is that Windows 7 populates the My Themes section of the Personalization window with themes that are in one of this two locations:

- X:\User\Username and any subfolder (where X is the drive letter where Windows 7 is installed)
    - Documents folder (by default C:\Users\Username\Documents, but it can be redirected elsewere).

As you see, they didn't take into account the case of a user redirecting his/her LocalAppData folder. Couldn't you live with your custom themes inside "Installed themes"? You could change the name "Unsaved theme" following this tip by MVP Vishal Gupta: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-show-actual-theme-name-in-windows-7-desktop-properties/ 
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Sorry to bumps such an old thread, I sorta forgot about this as I have had a lot of work on my mind. Sure, I could live with them, but I would rather have something work then be broken.

The link provided doesn't work with this problem, mainly because the Unsaved themes do not show up in that folder, due to the fact that they are Unsaved. While I don't think this was a personal issue put in Microsoft, I am a bit surprised that they didn't catch this during QA Testing and the Beta Testing.

I changed the following Registry Keys:
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3529038244-239498856-192597206-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

The only step really in changing this, was go to the registry, find the locations and if they were not there create the folder, and apply the changes and reboot.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 6:29 PM