none
Critical path is gone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Using MSP Server 2010 (hosted) with MSP 2010 Pro & SP1

I have one plan that keeps losing the critical path each time I save a copy of it to my desktop from Server.

I download a copy in order to connect it to Pert Chart Expert

I have a few instances of recurring tasks in this plan.

Thanks in advance

Shelleyb

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:15 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure what you mean by losing the critical path.  Perhaps the formatting is changing so that critical tasks are not colored as you expected?

Try this:  In the Format ribbon, in the Bar Styles section, check the box for Critical Tasks.

Also, the Tracking Gantt view is typically configured to highlight the critical path, but maybe someone edited it.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:48 PM
  • I am doing a terrible job at wording my questions well today!

No, formatting hasn't been changed and I've gone through all the steps you'd typically go through and some you typically wouldn't, including recalculating.

398 task schedule showing only the last tasks as critical (one is a milestone), which would be nice but probably not a reflection of reality.

I've been downloading a copy of this plan from MSP Server to work with it in Pert Chart Expert. The PCE tech department suggested that modifying calendars will impact this but I had never heard that, and I have modified my project calendar and some of the resource calendars.

I know that task constraints will have a huge impact on what shows up on the critical path and I do have some recurring tasks that by nature are constrained.

Not sure what to tweak/change/delete in order to get the CP showing again.  

Thanks in advance! 

Shelleyb MCTS

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Shelley:

Add the field 'Total Slack" to your current view. Only incomplete tasks with zero (0) Total Slack appear on the critical path unless you determine otherwise.

Just about anything you do to a schedule can affect CP.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:34 PM