I cannot see my website from inside. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows2003 server setup and I've loaded IIS on it.  My webpage work and I am able to see my webpage externally but not internally. when I type in my pubic ip address on my server or anywhere on my internal network I can't see it.  outside I can see my webpage just fine.  I am guessing that it is an DNS problem but do not know where the problem is.

anyone know how to fix this?

Tech user
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:10 PM

Answers

• Does not sound to be DNS related since you are trying to access the page via its public IP address.  When you type in an IP for the URL, there is no DNS lookup.  If you are unable to access the public IP from inside your network, its most likely NAT related.  Many of the consumer based NAT routers do not allow for accessing the PUBLIC ip which maps back to a private IP, from inside the network.

Does your webserver have a public IP configured, or is it a private IP, just NAT'd via your internet router?

For DNS, you would simply create a host record on your internal zone, then map that record to the private IP address of your web server.

Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.

anITKB facebook youtube

• Edited by Jorge Mederos Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Tan Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:59 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:35 PM