Windows XP Boot Process RRS feed

• Question

• There are plenty of resources which break down the boot process of windows XP. I have read through these and wondered how/where virus programs/scan disk/and many other utilities can insert themselves into the boot process.

If anybody has used scan disk, it usually asks to be inserted to the boot process. When this is done, XP boots, but is interrupted by the process and brings up a window that is Dark Blue on the top and bottom, Windows XP in the upper right, and a center light blue where the process executes it's shell.

I would like to run custom boot interrupts in this manner and I wonder how/where this is done.

--

I just found
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    in the registry contains BootExecute.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute adds program strings to run in the boot processes. For instance, aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English" /KBD:2 is added to this registry record to launch the avast anti-virus boot scanner.

When I try to execute ANY program, that will run by the boot process, in Dos-Prompt returns:

The C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.exe application cannot be run in Win32 mode.

The C:\WINDOWS\system32\aswBoot.exe application cannot be run in Win32 mode.
    Does that mean these programs have been compiled in some special manner?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:19 PM

Answers

• Can you give more details on what you're trying to run at boot? E.g. why what you're attempting can't be done via msconfig, or by running something post-boot, at user login.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:59 PM