How to go ahead with NLB on SharePoint Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am into small clarification. Can someone tell me, how to choose the NLB (i.e. Hardware or Software).

As far i know, cost-effective. Is there anything we need to consider by the no of users access.

Consider as sample. In my Farm there will be an 7K user and active availabilty will be 400 .

Please tell me, how to differentiate the Hardware and Software NLB. Which one is recommended ?

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

It depends, it always depends :)

The rule of thumb I tend to go from is, software NLB is cheaper and easier to setup, but not as good as the hardware. In terms of function, performance and management.

Hardware is usually more complex to setup and somewhat more expensive. There is a gain in performance and function over the software NLB.

So at some point there is a brake/even on when to do what in terms of price vs performance/functionality. Obviously you can always find the exception to the rule, hence rule of thumb :)

The correct term is properly appliance box(hardware) and software NLB. Basically they are the same, the appliance box is purpose built and is handled as such.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:27 AM