SP 2007 left nav has "Error" listed as link - link works but I cannot Modify Navigation RRS feed

• Question

• Someone created a custom link on the left nav of a site which points back to the home page of the site (default.aspx).  I can select the link and I get to the home page (from the home page) but I cannot go into the navigation to edit and remove this extraneous link. 

I have had this happen before when someone has a link to a page that has been deleted and I've simply restored the page and all works fine - this time it is the default.aspx to the same site so it was not deleted.  I have also reset to site definition and removed any closed web parts.  I have checked the ONE web part on the page and I see no errors.

When I select Site Settings, Modify Navigation I get the following error: 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Navigation.PortalSiteMapNode.GetNavigationChildren(NodeTypes includedTypes, NodeTypes includedHiddenTypes, Boolean securityTrimmingEnabled, OrderingMethod ordering, AutomaticSortingMethod method, Boolean ascending, Int32 lcid)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String parentId, PortalSiteMapNode node, Int32 depth, Int32 maxDepth)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String parentId, PortalSiteMapNode node, Int32 depth, Int32 maxDepth)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.InitializeNavigationEditSort()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan Headrick

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:28 PM

Answers

All replies