Project 2010 and Exchange Tasks Sync Fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I followed the steps in "Configure Project Server 2010 to work with Exchange Server 2010"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468700.aspx

However, there was no command to run if you have more than one CAS Server, plus this article is missing necessary commands that must be run to allow Exchange Impersonation. Furthermore, apparently the article is from beta days, because it talks about "application pool" rather than "project queue service".

So, I found more information here,

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mohits/archive/2010/05/29/integration-of-project-server-2010-and-exchange-2010-2007.aspx

and ran the command for Exchange Impersonation:

To configure Exchange Impersonation for all users in an organization

1. Open the Exchange Management Shell.

2. Run the New-ManagementRoleAssignment cmdlet to add the permission to impersonate to the specified user. The following example shows how to configure Exchange Impersonation to enable a service account to impersonate all other users in an organization.

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name:impersonationAssignmentName -Role:ApplicationImpersonation -User:serviceAccount

and also ran the following commands that allow for more than one CAS Server:

>>>To fix this the command will have to be run against every server running the Client Access Role. One way of doing this is to use the following PowerShell commands in the EMS:

$CAS = get-exchangeserver | where { $_.ServerRole -match "ClientAccess" }

$CAS | foreach-object {Add-ADPermission -Identity $_.DistinguishedName -User (Get-User -Identity DOMAIN\AppPoolAccount | select-object).identity -extendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-Impersonation}

I then ran this command to allow my test user access. I guess this has to be run for each and every user you want to all email tasks for?

Add-ADPermission -Identity "<ProjUser>" -User <FarmAdministrator> -extendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-May-Impersonate

<ProjUser> is the name of the Project Server user whom you are configuring, and <FarmAdministrator> is the SharePoint Server farm administrator account.

**NOTE: "ProjUser" should be in the format of "First Name Last Name"

and the error I get is:

• GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500). Details: id='40500' name='GeneralExchangeSyncError' uid='9432ad0a-ad57-48d5-ae0e-379373eac1e8' exception='System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated. at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil.GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil..ctor(ICredentials credentials, String url, PlatformContext context, Guid teamMemberUid) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeSyncMessage.ExecuteSync(ExchangeSyncTasks exchangeSyncTasks)'.
  •  

Additionally, when my AD Group resynchs in project, the checkmark I had to set manually on each and every user account (manually!! Why?) To synchronize tasks under exchange details resets to  unchecked. What permission do I need to set so this doesn't happen?

Here's from the ULS:

PWA:https://projectserver.domain.com/QHRImpPWA, ServiceApp:PWA, User:i:0#.w|domain\dstrand, PSI: ExchangeSync() - User (d632f7c7-d861-42f2-9e7a-ef5cdf04c8f5) email server found at: https://mail.domain.com/ews/exchange.asmx 68403208-41f6-4bea-bada-5d5dd5b56e85

01/27/2011 13:38:55.72          Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0F0C)     0x17C4           Project Server                            Exchange Sync                       74wz   Monitorable     Error is: GeneralExchangeSyncError. Details: Attributes:  System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated.     at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)     at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil.GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil..ctor(ICredentials credentials, String url, PlatformContext context, Guid teamMemberUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeSyncMessage.ExecuteSync(ExchangeSyncTasks exchangeSyncTasks)  . Standa...         68403208-41f6-4bea-bada-5d5dd5b56e85

01/27/2011 13:38:55.72*        Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0F0C)     0x17C4           Project Server                            Exchange Sync                       74wz   Monitorable     ...rd Information: PSI Entry Point:   Project User: i:0#.w|domain\dstrand  Correlation Id: 68403208-41f6-4bea-bada-5d5dd5b56e85  PWA Site URL: https://projectserver.domain.com/QHRImpPWA  SSP Name: PWA  PSError: GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500)            68403208-41f6-4bea-bada-5d5dd5b56e85

01/27/2011 13:38:56.18          w3wp.exe (0x0D78)                           0x16E0            SharePoint Server                         Logging Correlation Data      xmnv   Medium           ECS RequestId=6195 47172b4c-9d4d-49eb-8226-ea8c11bf5cc2

01/27/2011 13:38:56.18          w3wp.exe (0x0D78)                           0x16E0            SharePoint Server                         Logging Correlation Data      xmnv   Medium           User=0#.w|domain\serverfarm            47172b4c-9d4d-49eb-8226-ea8c11bf5cc2

01/27/2011 13:38:56.18          w3wp.exe (0x0D78)                           0x16E0            SharePoint Server                         Logging Correlation Data      xmnv   Medium           Result=Success           47172b4c-9d4d-49eb-8226-ea8c11bf5cc2

01/27/2011 13:38:56.72          Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0F0C)     0x0CD8          Project Server                            Queue                         954k    Medium           PWA:https://projectserver.domain.com/QHRImpPWA, ServiceApp:PWA, User:i:0#.w|domain\serverfarm, PSI: [QUEUE] Retry: 3  ExchangeSyncTasks  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.ExchangeSyncTasks     ffae1afb-ae63-42f8-8edc-b98031a4eb00

• Edited by Donia Strand Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:48 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:22 PM

Answers

• Here are the results of working with the truly fantastic MS Partner Project Team and how they solved the issue.

>>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your post!

If I understand the issue correctly, you tried to follow the technet article and MSDN blogs to configure project server 2010/Exhange 2010 task sync but you encountered the following errors

GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500). Details: id='40500' name='GeneralExchangeSyncError' uid='9432ad0a-ad57-48d5-ae0e-379373eac1e8' exception='System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated. at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil.GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil..ctor(ICredentials credentials, String url, PlatformContext context, Guid teamMemberUid) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeSyncMessage.ExecuteSync(ExchangeSyncTasks exchangeSyncTasks)'.

If I'm off-base, please let me know.

From the callstack it seems the issue occurs when project server tries to get userid from AD:

GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context)

Based on my research, this issue could occur if "Workstation" service is not running on the Project server. You may want to confirm if this service is running after you run services.msc

The other possible reason is that Project server service account doesn't have proper permission for AD. You could check the following account

Service application pool-projectapp
    Project queue/events windows service

from Central admin->Secuirty->configure Service accounts

Please make sure the accounts has proper permissions on AD so that they could get proper user information there.

If you have any update, please feel free to let's know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    Partner Online Technical Community
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Monday, February 14, 2011 4:20 PMDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

You cannot vote on your own post 
    >>>Hi Peter!

Thank you so much for your response. Been kind of pulling our hair out here... Yes, the workstation service is started on both WFEs, I even restarted it to see if it would make a difference.

I checked the following as you had set out:

and these all run under the SharePoint Farm Administrator account. I believe it should have the proper permissions on AD-we've had no issues with anything else. Is there something else to check?

• Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:47 AMPeter Yang<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Owner</abbr>Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Vote As Helpful 
    >>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your update!

From reflector we found the source code for GetUserSid as following

private static SecurityIdentifier GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context)
    {
        if (Guid.Empty == resourceUid)
        {
            throw new ArgumentNullException("resourceUid");
        }
        string str = context.Dal.Operational.Statusing.ReadResourceAccount(resourceUid);
        if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(str))
        {
            throw new InvalidOperationException("Could not retrieve resource account");
        }
        NTAccount account = new NTAccount(str);
        return (account.Translate(typeof(SecurityIdentifier)) as SecurityIdentifier);
    }

internal string ReadResourceAccount(Guid resourceUid)
    {
        if (resourceUid == Guid.Empty)
        {
        }
        return (string) base.ExecuteStoredProcedureScalar("MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount", new SqlParameter[] { DAL.SubDal.CreateStoredProcedureParameter("@resourceUid", resourceUid, DbType.Guid, ParameterDirection.Input) });
    }

Apparently, it uses following SP in projectserver_published database to get the accountname by resourceid.

MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount]
       @resourceUid UNIQUEIDENTIFIER
    AS
      SELECT r.WRES_ACCOUNT
      FROM MSP_RESOURCES r
      WHERE r.RES_UID = @resourceUid

GO

It seems that in MSP_RESOURCES table, the WRES_ACCOUNT is not correct type such as "domain\accountname" so the account cannnot be translated properly to SID by Translate function.

Please check the WRES_ACCOUNT column in MSP_RESOURCES and make sure it has correct pattern for user domain\dstrand or other user you'd test

use projectserver_published
    go

select * from MSP_RESOURCES
    go

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:55 PMDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
  •  

>>>Thanks so much. I checked the WRES_Account column in the project_published table, and all the accounts there show as claims accounts and do have the domain\accountname syntax:

i:0#.w|domain\dstrand

• Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:36 AMPeter Yang<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Owner</abbr>Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
     Answer
    Vote As Helpful

>>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your reply!

I suggest that you update the WRES_Account to the exact domain account syntax.

USE [ProjectServer_Published]
    GO

update dbo.MSP_RESOURCES set WRES_Account = 'domain\dstrand' where res_id=<res_id>

go

You may want to test the issue at this time to see if it still occurs.

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    Marked As Answer byDonia Strand a few seconds ago 
  • a few seconds agoDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Thank you so very much, Exchange Sync is working now. I'm not sure why the WRES_Account column uses the claims authentication format, especially when there is a WRES_CLaims_Account column with that information already. Here's what I did to get the Exchange Sync working;

Turned off AD Sync for each and every account in PWA (as soon as it syncs, it overwrites the account data and unchecks the Sync Exchange Tasks check box).

Manually checked the Sync Exchange Tasks checkbox for all the User Accounts in PWA

Then, removed the claims prefix from all the accounts in the WRES_Account column in SQL so they read domain\username instead of

i:0#.w|domain\username

***NOTE: if you go into PWA> Server Settings> Users and double click any of those user accounts and then save (or make a change and save), the account reverts to claims and must be edited again in the SQL table.

Again, thank you. We'd tried everything to get this working. Does this happen to others that use claims auth, do you know?

• Marked as answer by Donia Strand Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Marked as answer by Donia Strand Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:48 PM
Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• Donia:

First, could the following apply in your case? http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=131

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Thanks, Gary. No, the accounts are not domain admin or other security type accounts--just normal users. And, the Exchange Impersonation does not disappear, it just doesn't work. The PWA plug in in 2007 was much easier. Notifications work, just not the synching of tasks. It's really hard to find proper documentation on this (not in any books that are out I see) and the technet article is missing steps, doesn't take into account that organizations might have more than one CAS, and is old (beta).

Friday, February 4, 2011 5:27 PM
  • I've searched on the forums, reran commands, rebooted, still can't get Exchange Synch going. It fails with:

GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500). Details: id='40500' name='GeneralExchangeSyncError' uid='96c59c95-d032-4313-9640-3976b3f4e082' exception='System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated.

Friday, February 4, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I can get the checkmark I set manually on each and every user account to stop unchecking the "To synchronize tasks under exchange details" by choosing not to sync the AD Accounts. Not sure why every time AD project groups sync it unchecks, but I have a workaround.

I've just tried everything from scratch, searched forums, and checked blogs. I've not seen this exact error in relation to Project 2010 and Exchange Server task integration before, except in our own systems:

GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500). Details: id='40500' name='GeneralExchangeSyncError' uid='9432ad0a-ad57-48d5-ae0e-379373eac1e8' exception='System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated. at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.

It would seem to be a permission error. We've run MGMT roles assignments from Exchange and looked at the list, and accounts are showing that they have rights to impersonate, plus I'm not getting an impersonate error.

I've double checked the event logs on all servers, the ULS logs, and IIS logs. I've rechecked the IIS app pool and project queue credentials. Also, I've tried with different users (not admins) that have had the script run for them. Reports and Analysis Services work, we've had no trouble with SharePoint email notifications, ingoing/outgoing mail or connecting to Office applications. Everything else in Project 2010 works as desired.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Donia:

Hearing no additonal input from our peers on the forum, I am going to suggest that you open a case with Microsoft support to resolve your issue. Alternately, you could contact a local Microsoft Project partner.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Yes, I'm working with the support from the MS Partner Project team. I'll post back my results here.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Here are the results of working with the truly fantastic MS Partner Project Team and how they solved the issue.

>>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your post!

If I understand the issue correctly, you tried to follow the technet article and MSDN blogs to configure project server 2010/Exhange 2010 task sync but you encountered the following errors

GeneralExchangeSyncError (40500). Details: id='40500' name='GeneralExchangeSyncError' uid='9432ad0a-ad57-48d5-ae0e-379373eac1e8' exception='System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated. at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil.GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil..ctor(ICredentials credentials, String url, PlatformContext context, Guid teamMemberUid) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeSyncMessage.ExecuteSync(ExchangeSyncTasks exchangeSyncTasks)'.

If I'm off-base, please let me know.

From the callstack it seems the issue occurs when project server tries to get userid from AD:

GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context)

Based on my research, this issue could occur if "Workstation" service is not running on the Project server. You may want to confirm if this service is running after you run services.msc

The other possible reason is that Project server service account doesn't have proper permission for AD. You could check the following account

Please make sure the accounts has proper permissions on AD so that they could get proper user information there.

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Monday, February 14, 2011 4:20 PMDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

>>>Hi Peter!

Thank you so much for your response. Been kind of pulling our hair out here... Yes, the workstation service is started on both WFEs, I even restarted it to see if it would make a difference.

I checked the following as you had set out:

and these all run under the SharePoint Farm Administrator account. I believe it should have the proper permissions on AD-we've had no issues with anything else. Is there something else to check?

• Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:47 AMPeter Yang<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Owner</abbr>Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Vote As Helpful 
    >>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your update!

From reflector we found the source code for GetUserSid as following

private static SecurityIdentifier GetUserSid(Guid resourceUid, PlatformContext context)
    {
        if (Guid.Empty == resourceUid)
        {
        }
        string str = context.Dal.Operational.Statusing.ReadResourceAccount(resourceUid);
        if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(str))
        {
            throw new InvalidOperationException("Could not retrieve resource account");
        }
        NTAccount account = new NTAccount(str);
        return (account.Translate(typeof(SecurityIdentifier)) as SecurityIdentifier);
    }

internal string ReadResourceAccount(Guid resourceUid)
    {
        if (resourceUid == Guid.Empty)
        {
        }
        return (string) base.ExecuteStoredProcedureScalar("MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount", new SqlParameter[] { DAL.SubDal.CreateStoredProcedureParameter("@resourceUid", resourceUid, DbType.Guid, ParameterDirection.Input) });
    }

Apparently, it uses following SP in projectserver_published database to get the accountname by resourceid.

MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[MSP_ExchangeSync_ReadResourceAccount]
       @resourceUid UNIQUEIDENTIFIER
    AS
      SELECT r.WRES_ACCOUNT
      FROM MSP_RESOURCES r
      WHERE r.RES_UID = @resourceUid

GO

It seems that in MSP_RESOURCES table, the WRES_ACCOUNT is not correct type such as "domain\accountname" so the account cannnot be translated properly to SID by Translate function.

Please check the WRES_ACCOUNT column in MSP_RESOURCES and make sure it has correct pattern for user domain\dstrand or other user you'd test

use projectserver_published
    go

select * from MSP_RESOURCES
    go

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:55 PMDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
  •  

>>>Thanks so much. I checked the WRES_Account column in the project_published table, and all the accounts there show as claims accounts and do have the domain\accountname syntax:

i:0#.w|domain\dstrand

• Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:36 AMPeter Yang<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Owner</abbr>Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
     Answer
    Vote As Helpful

>>>Hello Donia,

Thank you for your reply!

I suggest that you update the WRES_Account to the exact domain account syntax.

USE [ProjectServer_Published]
    GO

update dbo.MSP_RESOURCES set WRES_Account = 'domain\dstrand' where res_id=<res_id>

go

You may want to test the issue at this time to see if it still occurs.

Best regards,

Peter Yang
    Marked As Answer byDonia Strand a few seconds ago 
  • a few seconds agoDonia Strand Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Thank you so very much, Exchange Sync is working now. I'm not sure why the WRES_Account column uses the claims authentication format, especially when there is a WRES_CLaims_Account column with that information already. Here's what I did to get the Exchange Sync working;

Turned off AD Sync for each and every account in PWA (as soon as it syncs, it overwrites the account data and unchecks the Sync Exchange Tasks check box).

Manually checked the Sync Exchange Tasks checkbox for all the User Accounts in PWA

Then, removed the claims prefix from all the accounts in the WRES_Account column in SQL so they read domain\username instead of

i:0#.w|domain\username

***NOTE: if you go into PWA> Server Settings> Users and double click any of those user accounts and then save (or make a change and save), the account reverts to claims and must be edited again in the SQL table.

Again, thank you. We'd tried everything to get this working. Does this happen to others that use claims auth, do you know?

• Marked as answer by Donia Strand Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Marked as answer by Donia Strand Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:48 PM
Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Update: the trouble I was having with Exchange Sync and Project 2010 is because it is not supported with claims authentication. Here's what the MS Partner forum correspondent said: Based on the feedback from the product team I just go, the Exchange Sync feature is only supposed to work with classic windows, we didn’t support it with claims auth in 14 release at present.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 3:38 PM