HP 5590 SCANNER WON'T WORK SINCE VISTA RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

I just recently bought a new Dell 420 Desktop....( Quad Core Q9450, 4GB Mem...), It also has Windows Vista Ultimate installed.

I also have a HP Scanjet 5590 scanner.....THAT WON"T WORK WITH IT ANYMORE SINCE I GOT THIS COMPUTER.....( sorry about caps).

I've downloaded the latest sofware from HP...and for some reason whenever I want to scan something this scanner stops and freezes 1/4 to 1/2 way into a scan...reguardless from the ADF or glass, and or whatever software I use ( be it Paperport, MediaFace 5.0, HP Soloution Center 9.0).

I no way have as much problems working with the scanner with XP Pro.

Has anyone else have this  scanner working with Vista that might have these problems that could help.

This Vista is costing me way too much money with all the upgrading with sofware etc which I should not have to do.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before moving on, please help me confirm the following points:

1.Does the scanner work when switching to another USB port?

2.Does the scanner work when taking a Clean Boot?

Clean boot

=================

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer to test this issue.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

If the issue persists, let’s take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Unplug all cables from the scanner and the scanner cable from the computer

2. Click "Start", type "APPWIZ.CPL" (without quotation marks) in Start Search bar and press the "Enter" key.

3. Highlight any software or program related to the scanner and click "Change/Remove" to remove the driver.

4. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" (without quotation marks) in Start Search bar and press the Enter key.

5. Click "View" and select "Show hidden devices".

6. Click the "+" next to “Imaging Devices”. This will show all Imaging Devices previously and currently connected to the computer.

7. Right-click on the Scanner Band scanner name and left-click on “Uninstall”. If the scanner is listed more than one time, uninstall all occurrences of the scanner.

8. If you see “Other Devices” in the device manager list, click on the “+” to view the list of Other Devices.

9. Right-click on the other device and left-click on “Uninstall” from the list. The scanner may be listed as any of the following:

- USB Scanner

- USB Device

- Unknown Device

- Scanner

- (Your Scanner Model)

10. Reboot the computer.

11. Plug the scanner cable to the computer and turn it on.

12. Download and install the latest HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner driver from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=377691&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15179&prodSeriesId=377689&submit.y=7&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:49 AM
  • I had a very simlar problem with a HP scanner as well, and how I fixed it was to remove the drivers for the scanner, and then reboot, removed the HP software for it, and then re-installed it all as though new, with the latest drivers, and that seemed to have fixed my problem. by chance is your vista updated to SP1 or no? Good luck

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, please help me confirm the following points:

1.Does the scanner work when switching to another USB port?

2.Does the scanner work when taking a Clean Boot?

Clean boot

=================

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer to test this issue.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

If the issue persists, let’s take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Unplug all cables from the scanner and the scanner cable from the computer

2. Click "Start", type "APPWIZ.CPL" (without quotation marks) in Start Search bar and press the "Enter" key.

3. Highlight any software or program related to the scanner and click "Change/Remove" to remove the driver.

4. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" (without quotation marks) in Start Search bar and press the Enter key.

5. Click "View" and select "Show hidden devices".

6. Click the "+" next to “Imaging Devices”. This will show all Imaging Devices previously and currently connected to the computer.

7. Right-click on the Scanner Band scanner name and left-click on “Uninstall”. If the scanner is listed more than one time, uninstall all occurrences of the scanner.

8. If you see “Other Devices” in the device manager list, click on the “+” to view the list of Other Devices.

9. Right-click on the other device and left-click on “Uninstall” from the list. The scanner may be listed as any of the following:

- USB Scanner

- USB Device

- Unknown Device

- Scanner

- (Your Scanner Model)

10. Reboot the computer.

11. Plug the scanner cable to the computer and turn it on.

12. Download and install the latest HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner driver from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=377691&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15179&prodSeriesId=377689&submit.y=7&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:49 AM
  • I had a very simlar problem with a HP scanner as well, and how I fixed it was to remove the drivers for the scanner, and then reboot, removed the HP software for it, and then re-installed it all as though new, with the latest drivers, and that seemed to have fixed my problem. by chance is your vista updated to SP1 or no? Good luck

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Lewis_08

Are you able to use the "unattended two-sided, multi-page scanning with included automatic document feeder" feature?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 5:04 PM