none
Remaining Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would like to use remaining work as a true reflection of how much work is left. If i add this to MSP 2013 i see it automatically deducts from the work (which i have assumed is budgeted work), plus it updates the percentage. 

In my experience the remaining work is very rarely the work minus actual work. I am unable to change the % complete or the remaining work what am i doing wrong? 

Sorry if this is a silly question im new to MSP having previously used Primavera.

Thanks

Kath 

Friday, December 19, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Kath,

Here is how does MS Project work:

When you create a task, set a duration and assign a resource, it will create an amount of work based on the working time of the resource, the project calendar and the scheduling options. Note that at this time, the remaining work is equal to the work and the %complete equal to 0.

Then either you enter a %complete (clicking on one of the tracking icons from the task tab or directly entering a % in the task form) or enter actual work. Note that entering a % complete will calculate an amount of actual work. Then the remaining work will be calculated based on this formula: remaining work = work - actual work.

After doing this, you can eventually update the remaining work, increasing it to 55 hours. Then Project will calculate the work being 55+20=75hrs.

Finally I do insist on the fact that you need to master the task type concept (fixed units, duration or work) in order to properly manage task tracking. See this excellent reference (for Project 2003 but still applicable).

NOTE: I undeleted the thread and moved it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, December 19, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

What might puzzle you is your assumption that Work is budgeted work: it isn't.

It's the current best estimate of total work.

To preserve budgeted work, you have to save a baseline; after that budgeted work is BaselineWork.

Greetings,

Friday, December 19, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Sorry for bumping in - just a quick clarification.  You will see the field "budget work" appear in both Project 2010 and 2013 in the visual reports.  Budget work and budget costs are actually types of resources.  You can create a work or a cost resource and in the Resource Information dialog check off "budget" checkbox. Budget work and Budget cost resources may only be assigned to the Project summary task.

As Jan notes, in order to view your original estimates, save a Baseline before updating actual and/or remaining work.

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:13 PM