Embedded Excel table in Word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a new laptop with Window 8 and Office 2013. Previous Word files with embedded Excel tables will open once then refuse to open a second time. I get an error message, "the program used to create this object is Excel. That program us either not installed or your computer..." Both Excel and Word work fine on their own. One thread suggested turning off Add-Ins but I'm not sure how to do that... And it did not seem to work for the other person... HELP!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In regarding of the issue, I recommend we do some tests to narrow down the issue.

Create a new Word 2013 file and a Excel 2013 file, and insert the Excel file as object in Word to test.

If it works fine, we need to repair the previous Word files.

If it does not work fine, please try to start Word 2013 in safe mode (Press Win+R > enter Winword.exe /safe). If it works fine, we'd better check the add-ins both of the Word and Excel:

In Excel/Word go to file>options>add-ins. Then down the bottom select COM Add-ins from the drop down menu and hit go. Uncheck everything hit ok. Close the options menu close Excel.

After, we also could update all the latest Office 2013 and Windows 8 patches to test.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Friday, February 7, 2014 1:31 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:32 AM

All replies

• Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Programs & Features > Microsoft Office > Change in the Windows Control Panel)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

In regarding of the issue, I recommend we do some tests to narrow down the issue.

Create a new Word 2013 file and a Excel 2013 file, and insert the Excel file as object in Word to test.

If it works fine, we need to repair the previous Word files.

If it does not work fine, please try to start Word 2013 in safe mode (Press Win+R > enter Winword.exe /safe). If it works fine, we'd better check the add-ins both of the Word and Excel:

In Excel/Word go to file>options>add-ins. Then down the bottom select COM Add-ins from the drop down menu and hit go. Uncheck everything hit ok. Close the options menu close Excel.

After, we also could update all the latest Office 2013 and Windows 8 patches to test.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Friday, February 7, 2014 1:31 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Thanks macropod and George for the insight. I did try to recreate the document from scratch in a new Word doc prior to the submission. It worked great until I closed it down and tried to open it up again. It wanted to treat the embedded Excel table as a picture. In Excel/Word (Word did it, not Excel) go to file>options>add-ins. Then down the bottom select COM Add-ins from the drop down menu and hit go. Uncheck everything hit ok. Close the options menu close Excel." That worked, there seemed to be some Acer add-in that were creating the conflict. All seems good now, thank you!

Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Various Bluetooth add-ins are particularly problematic; that or another 3rd-party add-in may have been the issue here. The genuine MS ones, though, should be OK - and some of those you might find yourself needing from time to time.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:30 AM
  • I have now spent the entire day simply trying to bring an Excel workbook into a Word 2013 proposal. I have done this previously with Office 2003 with no problem. 

I copy what I thought was the entire workbook and I've tried to get it into my Word document in every manner possible, but it's a total mess. I am missing data. Some fonts are black; some are white. Any formatting I try to do in Word is also a mess. Columns disappear off the page and I have no way to retrieve them. Even with all this mess it looks like I would need to bring in each individual sheet, one at a time, which is absurd. 

Why can't Microsoft ever abide by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. You've turned something that worked perfectly and was no doubt used by millions of people doing proposals and turned it in to the usual disaster. Was the Office 2013 team in charge of this too? 

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Word's behaviour in this regard hasn't changed, so either your office installation is faulty or you've changed the way you're doing things.

Word has never been able to display a worksheet object that spans more than one page or more than one worksheet as a single object.

The only way to display worksheet content that spans more than one page is to:
    • paste separate objects corresponding to the amount that will fit on each page (obviously not amenable to changes in page break positions); or
    • paste the data as something other than a worksheet object, which always means format changes might occur, since the format ceases to be under Excel's control. That has always been the case.

Likewise, if you want to display more than one worksheet, you have always had to insert them separately.

PS: Please don't hijack other peoples' threads. The one in which you've posted your reply has nothing to do with the subject matter of your post.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

I have just installed Office 2013 Pro Plus. I did a standard install. I have a Word 2010 docx with an Excel (2010) object in it. I could not open the object for editing. I deleted it and inserted an Excel 2013 object. I created the object and saved it in Word docx. I saved the Word docx via simple Save. After opening the Word 2013 docx I tried to edit the Excel (2013) object. It did not work.

I then tried to explicitly save the Word Docx as a Word 2013 doc, closed it, reopend it and tried to edit the Excel object: No Go!

So as far as I understand this: Word's behaviour DID change.

• Edited by Jo V Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:57 AM
    Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Word's behaviour vis-à-vis opening embedded worksheets has not changed. You evidently have a faulty Office installation. Have you tried repairing it, as suggested in my post of 23 January, or disabling any 3rd-party Addins, as suggested in my post of 25 January?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, November 30, 2014 9:22 AM