How to remove Sleep and Lock option from the Start menu? RRS feed

• Question

• New to Windows 7 and starting implementation for work.  Like to prevent users from accidently clicking on Lock and or Sleep when they click on Start.  I see in gpedit that I can disable everything including shutdown and logoff, but want to keep the options for shutdown, logoff and switch users.  Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To remove Lock option, you need to create a registry key.

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, please follow the steps below to back up the registry key:

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3. Right click on . Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

After backuping the registry, try the following:

1. Navigate to the following key:
    2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, create a new DWORD value named DisableLockWorkstation and set value to 1.

Save the settings, you will see the option turns gray.

To disable Sleep option:

Open gpedit.msc and go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Sleep Settings

Enable "Turn Off Hybrid Sleep"
    Disable "Allow Standby States (S1-S3) when sleeping"

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Thanks, this works.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Fantastic THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :) Works great :)
    Friday, October 16, 2015 11:28 AM
  • Sleep was NOT disabled for my system with this: (I use Windows 7 on a HP-PC)

(Quote)

Open gpedit.msc and go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Sleep Settings

Disable "Allow Standby States (S1-S3) when sleeping

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, I assume this works for battery powered systems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found a method to disable the Sleep option from the startmenu for my AC powered system.

Open Regedit.  (Again export HKLM for safety first)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINME\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Open Power (or create the key), Then open PowerSettings (or create the key)

Locate abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab

Open this key (or create the key)

I found only the DCSettingIndex here but NOT ACSettingIndex.... (DWORD value)

So, in case you can't find this Create a new DWORD named "ACSettingIndex"

the value of it should be "0", if not change it.

Close Regedit (to save) and Restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------

After doing this the option is greyed-out from the startmenu om my AC-powered PC.

I had to do this because when I (accedently) clicked it and woke it up afterwards,

soon my PC would freeze and I had to manually shut it down wich is never a good idea.

I hope this method works for people who have the same problem. Regards, AJ Funky

• Proposed as answer by bifkin Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:13 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Sleep was NOT disabled for my system with this: (I use Windows 7 on a HP-PC)

(Quote)

Disable "Allow Standby States (S1-S3) when sleeping

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, I assume this works for battery powered systems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found a method to disable the Sleep option from the startmenu for my AC powered system.

Open Regedit.  (Again export HKLM for safety first)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINME\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Open Power (or create the key), Then open PowerSettings (or create the key)

Locate abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab

Open this key (or create the key)

I found only the DCSettingIndex here but NOT ACSettingIndex.... (DWORD value)

So, in case you can't find this Create a new DWORD named "ACSettingIndex"

the value of it should be "0", if not change it.

Close Regedit (to save) and Restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------

After doing this the option is greyed-out from the startmenu om my AC-powered PC.

I had to do this because when I (accedently) clicked it and woke it up afterwards,

soon my PC would freeze and I had to manually shut it down wich is never a good idea.

I hope this method works for people who have the same problem. Regards, AJ Funky

Thanks, same happened to me. Only your regedit disabled the sleep option
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:15 PM