Change Edge Server Pool from single computer pool to Multiple computer pool RRS feed

• Question

• Ug. Current edge servers are in two sites and each is in a single computer pool. They were Lync 2013 enterprise; they are now SFB via in-place upgrade. Part of total migration from lync 2013 Ent to sfb se. New front ends with sfb are already built, one in each site and paired, all users migrated, edge servers pointing to them as next hop-- well on my way.

But... there are some sticky federation issues with sfb public address book and in any case I want my edge servers to be in a pool. though in two different sites, I think I've got the traffic/routing taken care of.

Alas, they are in single computer pools. I think I have to delete the preferred "primary" edge server pool from topology, publish and then add new edge server pool to topology with identical configuration, save that I'd select "multiple computer pool". Want to verify things before deleting things. And then at the end publish the topology.

Next, it's unclear if I'd repeat the procedure on the second edge server, or if it would just see the new pool and be available to join it.

thoughts?

Saturday, August 6, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi

Unfortunately, Microsoft stopped supporting metropolitan pools. These are pools where servers within the pool where in separate datacenters.

That said, it is not like SfB will be able to determine this and prevent you doing what you are planning. It is purely a matter of supportability in a PSS case in the future.

Edge servers are pretty easy to remove / add. If your first edge server is added and the pool name matches the FQDN of that edge then, you will need to remove it from the topology and re-add it. When you re-add it, you will need to install the edge again as if you are doing a normal install

Export config out of FE - Export-CsConfiguration -FileName C:\edge.zip

Copy this file to the edge server and then run Install-CsDatabase -LocalDatabases -Clean

Then Import-CsConfiguration -Filename C:\edge.zip -LocalStore

Then run stage 2 of the deployment wizard or run deploy.exe from the SfB deployment tools in c:\program files\skype for business\deployment

Then because the internal pool name would have changed, you need to request and assign a new internal Edge certificate from your internal CA so the CN and SAN match the pool FQDN.

Add second edge to the pool - make sure the settings are compatible with what you are doing e.g. same FQDNs for Access Edge, Web Conf, AV as the first edge server

Then repeat the above tasks.

If you have concern about reaching the public address book of Skype Consume (SfB doesn't have one) then you need to set up federation with Microsoft PIC (https://pic.lync.com) and also allow Port 4443 outbound from your access edge public IP to reach the Skype directory.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Er-D Monday, August 8, 2016 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Kemper TFE Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:33 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Like Mark said it is best not to stretch the pool in 2 different sites. The way they are configured is good.

No it is not possible to keep the FQDN of the server name. You need to create a unique FQDN like edgepool01.contonso.com. You need it for load balancing :)

Also, at what point in the above tasks will I get the chance to tell the second edge server that it belongs to the existing pool. Sorry if that seems a dumb question.

You need to delete both the servers from the topology then create a pool and at the both servers to the pool in topology builder.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398591(v=ocs.15).aspx

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, August 8, 2016 9:02 PM

All replies

• Hi

Unfortunately, Microsoft stopped supporting metropolitan pools. These are pools where servers within the pool where in separate datacenters.

That said, it is not like SfB will be able to determine this and prevent you doing what you are planning. It is purely a matter of supportability in a PSS case in the future.

Edge servers are pretty easy to remove / add. If your first edge server is added and the pool name matches the FQDN of that edge then, you will need to remove it from the topology and re-add it. When you re-add it, you will need to install the edge again as if you are doing a normal install

Export config out of FE - Export-CsConfiguration -FileName C:\edge.zip

Copy this file to the edge server and then run Install-CsDatabase -LocalDatabases -Clean

Then Import-CsConfiguration -Filename C:\edge.zip -LocalStore

Then run stage 2 of the deployment wizard or run deploy.exe from the SfB deployment tools in c:\program files\skype for business\deployment

Then because the internal pool name would have changed, you need to request and assign a new internal Edge certificate from your internal CA so the CN and SAN match the pool FQDN.

Add second edge to the pool - make sure the settings are compatible with what you are doing e.g. same FQDNs for Access Edge, Web Conf, AV as the first edge server

Then repeat the above tasks.

If you have concern about reaching the public address book of Skype Consume (SfB doesn't have one) then you need to set up federation with Microsoft PIC (https://pic.lync.com) and also allow Port 4443 outbound from your access edge public IP to reach the Skype directory.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Er-D Monday, August 8, 2016 9:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Kemper TFE Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:33 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 8:16 AM
  • concerned about failback and downtime-- Will it matter which edge server I do first? Much lower impact to do the "secondary" site than the first. When you say the internal name will have changed, you just mean for one of the two edge servers? The current names of the pools, which match the fqdn of the servers are lyncedge01 and lyncedge02. I'd like to keep the lyncedge01 name, or is it not possible to have the pool name match the server name and get reliable pooling when additional servers are added. I could envision a scenario in which it would never refer to the other servers.

Also, at what point in the above tasks will I get the chance to tell the second edge server that it belongs to the existing pool. Sorry if that seems a dumb question.

Monday, August 8, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Like Mark said it is best not to stretch the pool in 2 different sites. The way they are configured is good.

No it is not possible to keep the FQDN of the server name. You need to create a unique FQDN like edgepool01.contonso.com. You need it for load balancing :)

You need to delete both the servers from the topology then create a pool and at the both servers to the pool in topology builder.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398591(v=ocs.15).aspx

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, August 8, 2016 9:02 PM
  • BTW, BIG THANKS for pointing me back to pic.lync.com -reviewing that found some omissions, which also pointed me to review the fed policy, where there were other omissions, now corrected, I think.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi Daniel Kemper TFE,

You cannot put the EDGE servers from two different Lync sites into one EDGE Pool.

You can only keep one EDGE pool, re-setup the EDGE pool with the two EGDE servers in one site. re-publish it. It is also need to re-install the Edge servers.

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 1:20 AM
  • Sorry for long pause. -Reviewing options.

I did not include that our two sites are connected on a very fast, very reliable network. We stretch DFS and Exchage DAGs across them without issue. We have had great success so far with pairing the FE servers across the sites so I think I'm going to go for it.

I'll plan out my dns though and have to finish troubleshooting two issues, then will get going. (sfb a/v auth svc won't start- think I see the cert change to fix and my sfb - public Skype search fails-- maybe the subj of a new post)

Anyway: I think you've perfectly set me up for success thank you!

Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:33 PM