Windows Vista Shuts itself down after 10 seconds. RRS feed

• Question

• My new Acer laptop came installed with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Normally I switch on the computer and walk away to the kitchen for example because Vista is a very slow starting operating system. When I return a minute later with a drink I want to start using my laptop only to find out that Windows has shut itself down again automatically. It does this only when I do not immediately move the mouse after it has started up.

As a result I have to baby-sit my laptop while it starts up to prevent it from immediate shutting down again!

This is probably an energy-saving function. Although I try to save as much energy as possible I find this unwanted behaviour from Vista very annoying.

Does anyone know how to turn automatic shutdown off?

Best regards,

Jeroen

(selecting the "always on" energy profile makes no difference)
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:20 PM

All replies

• Have you using Anti-Virus to check your laptop, I think it should because of Virus.

I want to know this case  is always or once time only.

So you can check Virus and tell us more information first.

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Everytime the laptop starts up, either normal or from hibernation, this problem emerges. My virusdetector is up-to-date and I am sure that it is not I virus. My dad's laptop which is completely stock does it too by the way, probably every computer running Vista has this annoying feature. Does anyone know how to turn it off?
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:44 PM