none
Is a x64 Version of Project Required on a Workstation to Perform Certain Features with a x64 Project Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon Guys - 

My overall question is are there any features / processes a user may need to use which would require them to have Project x64 installed on their workstation to access a Project x64 Server installation or will an x86 version on their workstation allow them to perform all of the same tasks?  

I am the SCCM administrator for a company where I am constantly having to deploy Office 2013 products to workstations.  When looking at the existing environment recently, I found out that there was a big mix of Project x86 & x64 installations on workstations.  As I'm used to deploying x86 Office almost exclusively in corporate environments , I asked why.  The reply I got was that someone was told that all workstations must have Project x64 installed in order to be able to use some/all features when accessing a x64 Project Server.  Since you cannot have a mix of Office x86 & x64 products installed on the same workstation, this meant all who used Project (therefore having Project x64 installed) have also had to have an Office x64.  This has caused a tremendous amount of headache!

I never could find out who said it was required as it was before my time but if able to verify that Project x86 is 100% compatible; I plan to convert all existing x64 Office & Project installations to x86.  We've done a little testing using a Project x86 client to connect to the server and everything so far seems to work well so know it at least paritally supports it.  However, I don't know enough about how to use it to say with 100% certainty it would work - despite my opinion that x64 being required was a misunderstanding.  I definitely want to find out before a conversion is planned, though, which is the reason for my post.

If in fact a x64 Project installation is required on a workstation for any reason, do you know what specific features it is required / not required for? 

Thanks!!!

Ben K.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:34 PM

All replies

• Ben,

Far as i know bits on the client computer bear no connection to bits on the server computer.

What is required is that on the client, as you say, the same number of bits of Office and Project, (e.g. chose 32-bit or 64-bit) must be used.   The other requirement, for the client computer to interface with the server, it must be running Project Professional (32-bit or 64-bit).

If someone knows otherwise, chip in here.  Also take a look at the documentation for system requirements which surely can be found on Microsoft's product page for Microsoft Project.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 6:06 AM
  • Thanks, Rob - 

Based on my past experience, I'd have to agree; but am needing to be 100% sure if possible.  Does anyone else have information?  

Thanks!

Ben K.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:34 PM
  • Ben 

I Googled "requirements for project server" and found  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee683978?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

No mention of bit-requirement on client machines.

Perhaps ask those who tell you that 64-bit is required to research this for you further.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:23 AM