Mandatory Software Distribution errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have distributed and application as Mandatory install from SCCM 2007 SP2 R2.When I have fetched the report(Status of a specific advertisement),I found that out of 1000 machines in 15 machines (Windows7) application has failed to install.I noticed that it throws below exit code for 15 machines.

Exit code - 30

What are the possibilites of the above exit code with failed installation and how can we goahead and solve this issue. I hope Mandatory application will not display in Run Advertised Program in control panel.

How can we solve the issue of these 15 machines which are failing with different exit code mentioned above.

Thanks & Regards Deepak Kumar
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:27 PM

Answers

• That has absolutely nothing to do with ConfigMgr or mandatory advertisements. It's the executable / installer that determines the exit code. ConfigMgr just kicks off that command line. There's no one fits all solution for those errors. You have to examine each machine.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:16 AM

All replies

• Mandatory won't show in RAP unless you told it too.

error 30 is  "The system cannot read from the specified device." which seems odd.

This is likely not truely an SCCM issue but let's dig a little. What is the program and install command line?

Anything useful in execmgr.log?

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum/|
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

You should enable verbose logging for the appication and try a reinstall on the failed computers. The error is most likely coused by the app prerequisites (wrong platform, security, disk space, other softwar etc). Turning on verbose logging for the msi file will give you more details.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: http://blog.coretech.dk/author/kea/ and http://scug.dk/ | Twitter @Agerlund | Linkedin: /kentagerlund
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Thanks John/Kent,

I will check on your suggestions and will give my feedback on the same.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

Here in my environment the same program has installed successfully on 985 machines out of 1000 Win7 machines.Only on 15 machines this mandatory application has failed with the error code mentioned above.Different error code for these 15 machines.

I may be wrong but I don't think so program or install command line will be useful if the same application has been installed successfully in 985 Win7 machines.All the 1000 machines are Win7 machines.No different platform.Even in program it is set that "rerun the program if previous attempt failed".

Frankly speaking didnot check the execmgr.log because still I didnot get any of those 15 machines remote.Just checked the built-in report that is "Status of the specific Advertisement" report id 107.From this report only I got these error codes for all the 15 machines.

Any idea on best way to solving this issue because this problem will be same whenever we deploy mandatory application to bulk users.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:29 PM
  • That has absolutely nothing to do with ConfigMgr or mandatory advertisements. It's the executable / installer that determines the exit code. ConfigMgr just kicks off that command line. There's no one fits all solution for those errors. You have to examine each machine.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:16 AM