Configuring Rule Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to configure a Dialing Rule so that when someone attempts to dial extension 505 (1330688xxxx;ext=505) from the Auto Attendant they're transferred to extension 502 instead. The "number mask" field didn't like the format with "ext=505" and when it comes to Exchange, I've had to just say "505" in the past, so that's what I put and I put 502 in the "Dialed Number."

Unfortunately, this seemed to have no affect. I added the Rule to the AA settings.

We're on Exchange 2010 SP3.

Can anyone help me understand what may be going on?

Thanks!

-Eric

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:02 PM

All replies

• When you say, dial an extension from an Automated Attendant, you mean that the calling party enters 505 in a directory dial?  How is Exchange connected to the PSTN?  Lync, IP-PBX, qualified gateway?  It might be easiest to perform this translation after it leaves Exchange.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Sorry, I should have mentioned that. We're using Lync 2013 Enterprise.

I didn't think about doing it on the Lync side. I could just add a rule there that captures that number and translates it to the new extension.

That sounds like a good plan. I always get confused on which tab to do that in, though. Is that in Dial Plan or Voice Policy?

I need internal people to be able to voice call him through Lync client, though.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Do users use a specific dial plan or the global dial plan?  If they use a specific dial plan, and the global dial plan isn't used for much, then you could try putting a rule in the global dial plan that changes 505 to the E.164 number of the Lync user that has extension 502.  If everyone is using the global dial plan, this would change it for everyone however.

Is this an executive's assistant or ?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Ah... Yes, we're currently only using one dial plan (Global).

So the "correct" way to work this out would be to amend the Global plan to do the forwarding and then create a Dial Plan for internal calls, which doesn't include the forwarding but includes all the other rules we need.

Then I assign that internal dial plan to each user?

So that just leaves me with the question of which type of dial plan I should be creating for internal people: Site, Pool or User.

Ultimately, we are going to have Lync rolled out across multiple sites, but this is just our first site to use Lync as a phone system. So I want everyone on any of those sites to be able to directly call each other, including users like this that should have external calls rerouted. So, I'm guessing I should create a Site Dial Plan for this building, duplicate the rules that are in the global one for normal call normalizations.

If I'm correct then all external calls will fall to the "Global" Dial Plan, which will include a normalization rule that normalizes +1330688xxxx;ext=505 to +1330688xxx;ext=502. I can just put those rules above my already existent "Internal Extension" rules, so that it reaches them first.

Is my logic correct?

Thanks again for helping me think through all of this!

-Eric

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Before you go that far, I'd test it first.  If you can add a rule to global and make it work the way you'd expect, then yes, I'd go ahead and create a separate dial plan, copy the rules, and assign it to users. 

I like user level dial plans myself, you can assign them in bulk via powershell via something like: Get-CsUser -LdapFilter "l=Redmond" | Grant-CsDialPlan -PolicyName "RedmondDialPlan". 

I won't say it's the correct way, just one of a few ways. 

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Ya... I did that. I added this rule into the Global Dial Plan:

Pattern to match: ^(505)$
    Translation rule: +1330688xxxx;ext=502 (xxxx is the actual phone number)

This is the third rule, right after "^(911)$" and "^(411)$" and I committed the changes, but when I enter 505 in Lync client (which I restarted) or enter 505 at the auto attendant, it's still making it's way to the 505 extension, not 502.

I can't restart the processes right now because it's in use, but I can try that tonight to see if that makes this "take."

One thing I noticed was that CSCP didn't let me enter "+1330688xxxx;ext=505" as the "Pattern to match." It says it's invalid, so that's why I'm trying just the extension pattern. I figured at least the client would figure that out, but it hasn't... yet at least.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Eric

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Don't add the ;ext=502 part in the translation rule, just the E.164 portion, it will find the user based on this much.  If you put 505 in the dialed number to test at the bottom of the dial plan, does it normalize properly to 502?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:06 PM
  • If I don't include the ;ext=502 in there, won't it match every call then?

And when you say bottom, you mean the bottom of the list? It's going to be matched way before then, though, by the other rules and already normalized.

Maybe I'm incorrect but Normalization stops after one match is made, correct? It doesn't continue down the list. Or does it? Is it "stackable"?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Sorry, I made the assumption that 502 matched a specific DID that was for that one user only.  If all users share a common phone number, then yes, leave ext= in there.

By bottom, I mean the bottom of the page, there's a place to test the normalization rule you put in.  Enter the number and see if the result is what you expected.

You are correct about normalization stopping after the first hit and not being stackable.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Oh ya. I should have specified. Sorry about that.

I did do the testing part and it found the correct rule. My guess is that the server processes just need to refresh.

One problem is that CSCP still won't let me enter the ";ext=505" in the Patterns to match. It complains about the ; and says its an invalid character. Not sure how to work around that, if I need to.

I may not since Exchange seems to operate in the 3-digit extensions only, it may pass the number back appropriately as just "505" and not the full string.

Thanks!

• Edited by imeric82 Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:38 PM
  • In patterns to match, just put ^(505)$, in the translation rule, put +1330688xxxx;ext=502.  Exchange should just send 505 to Lync.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:43 PM
  • That's what I have, so once I'm able to restart the services, we'll see if it catches on. Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Okay... Here's where I'm at. With the normalization rule in the Lync Global Dial Plan, it causes the Lync client to resolve 505 to extension 502. However, when calling the AA and entering 505, you're still passed to that user's phone/mailbox. You don't reach his assistant instead.

So ya... this seems to work on the Lync side but not when the AA tried to pass off the call.

Is there something else I could try/test?

Thanks again for the help!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:04 AM