Keep the Aero candy, but disable all the animated effects? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Win7 system that I attach to over an RDP connection. I really like the capabilities of having 32bit color and the Aero theme. But, I'd rather do without most if not all of the animated visuals (fading app window as it's being minimized or restored for one). Basically, I'd like to keep 32bit color and the Aero theme, but optimize/remove anything else that would help a RDP connection.

Oh yeah, the system I'm connecting to is a 64bit virtual machine running on Server 2008 R2 Hyper-v.

Thanks.
    Bill 
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:37 PM

Answers

• I turned it off simply because its gross (and absolutely retarded) that blur doesn't show amid animations, and because it can be extremely distracting when the randomization of something's animation values (obviously for a more organic feel) hit extremes. I plan to post more on this later...

To turn off most aspects of visual effect, right click My Computer in the Start menu and hit Properties. Then click 'Advanced system settings' in the side pane, click the 'Advanced' tab, and then 'Settings' under Performance. From here you can check and un-check as you please- The second option covers your exact request.

The sad thing for me is that turning off the window animations also disables those of Aero Snap, which I liked :(
    • Marked as answer by ComputerFields Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:31 PM

All replies

• yeah, you can optimize your visuals without disabling the aero theme. Its easy, all you have to do is to adjust some advance visual properties to increase your performance.

Follow the link below to learn how to adjust visuals
    Adjust your Performance options in Windows 7
    • Proposed as answer by Davjdag Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I turned it off simply because its gross (and absolutely retarded) that blur doesn't show amid animations, and because it can be extremely distracting when the randomization of something's animation values (obviously for a more organic feel) hit extremes. I plan to post more on this later...

To turn off most aspects of visual effect, right click My Computer in the Start menu and hit Properties. Then click 'Advanced system settings' in the side pane, click the 'Advanced' tab, and then 'Settings' under Performance. From here you can check and un-check as you please- The second option covers your exact request.

The sad thing for me is that turning off the window animations also disables those of Aero Snap, which I liked :(
    • Marked as answer by ComputerFields Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Sweet. I was looking hard for that dialog. Between XP, Vista, and now Win7, I find myself lost half the time looking for configuration property sheets!

Thanks for the quick answer.

Bill

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Silly me, just dawned on me to search 'performance'- the hit 'Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows' takes you right there.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Another way to disable animations but keep aero is through ease of access center and select disable all unessassary animations. One check box does it all.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:02 AM
  • This worked best for me because I have to have an administrator password to go to the "Advanced Systems Settings", on my computer at work.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 6:58 PM