Search function is no more RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 Enterprise Edition I have no search option on the Start button or in the Windows Explorer windows. I'm trying to pursue in another of these forums (but getting nowhere) a problem with audio drivers using asio and usb becoming unusable when switching between tabs on the Control Panel "Sounds" interface. In desperation, I switched off almost everything that seemed non-essential. The fault was still there, so I restored all the defaults. Everything came back except the ability to search.

I have looked at the services, and everything seems to be running. I don't really want to restore to an earlier time, as I'm confused enough already about where all the drivers are.

Of course, if anyone knows why changing a tab view in that control panel window should screw up asio (which is supposed to bypass all Windows audio) drivers, I'd be really interested in that, too.

Monday, May 31, 2010 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi

The only way that I'm aware of to remove the Search box from the Start Menu and in Windows Explorer is to uninstall that component.

Open Control Panel / Programs and Features.

On the left side menu, select Turn Windows features On or Off.

In the programs list, make sure that there is a check mark in Indexing Service and Windows Search. Click OK.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, May 31, 2010 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:47 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi

The only way that I'm aware of to remove the Search box from the Start Menu and in Windows Explorer is to uninstall that component.

Open Control Panel / Programs and Features.

On the left side menu, select Turn Windows features On or Off.

In the programs list, make sure that there is a check mark in Indexing Service and Windows Search. Click OK.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, May 31, 2010 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:47 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Oh Dear, it's obvious when you know how. That worked, I remembered the screen that told me it would take a few minutes and I also found that I'd not put Windows Media player etc. back either.

I've left the indexing service switched off, as I have had trouble in the past with indexing interfering with audio. I assume and hope that the search will still work, but more slowly, without this.

Thanks Ronnie, and sorry to have been so blind. My only excuse is that the new control panel is pretty confusing. Here, there is no "Programs and features" until you open up Programs, which just says beneath it "Uninstal a Program".

Now I can get back to trying to log usb transfers.

Monday, May 31, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Hi

Glad this helped.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:02 AM