none
Application needs to reboot the machine before task sequence is completed - how to handle? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm new to using MDT with Windows XP, but I am working on a project to repurpose some old machines for use as kiosks. I will be using Windows XP with SteadyState and Windows Disk Protection as a means to help keep them from being abused.

In my task sequence, I currently am able to install Steady State silently as well as import a user with the locked down settings. The last thing I am trying to do is enable Windows Disk Protection. I can do this with a Command Line task that calls SCTUI.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot. I have this has the last step in the State Restore phase right now.

Obviously doing this causes the PC to reboot. After it does this I get a message that there is an existing task sequence still running, would I like to continue or start a new one.

So, the question is, how should I handle running a command in a task sequence that requires the computer to reboot?

Thank you for any help!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does the Window Disk Protection installer require a reboot at that moment? Is there a way to delay the reboot? If so, you can use a finish action in your TS to always reboot at the end of a TS. Additionally, you could simply have the TS initiate the reboot instead of the application. 

-Nick O.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Does the Window Disk Protection installer require a reboot at that moment? Is there a way to delay the reboot? If so, you can use a finish action in your TS to always reboot at the end of a TS. Additionally, you could simply have the TS initiate the reboot instead of the application. 

-Nick O.

Unfortunately it seems there is no way to delay the reboot. The switch used to activate WDP is /EnableWDPAndReboot so that is no surprise. I can't seem to find any other way to suppress it unless someone knows more about WDP and is willing to share.

I should be clear though this isn't really an installer. I've already installed SteadyState in a previous task. This is just running the command to enable WDP. Can I have this command run as a finish action?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:59 PM
  • If you can't supress the reboot you need to call it after the task sequence has completed. You can use this script to launch a process after the task sequence completes.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/17/Final-Configuration-for-MDT-2010-Lite-Touch.aspx

Works in MDT 2012 Update 1 as well.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by in2jars Saturday, August 31, 2013 6:19 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:39 PM
  • I ended up using your script to do this at the very end of my task sequence. Thanks.
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 6:20 PM