none
SharePoint 2013 webapplication after reboot no longer working all the time an giving page can not be displayed and WAS error

    Question

  • Hi,

    After a reboot of one off the SharePoint servers I am managing, the webapplication seems broken. The root site collection gives the "Page can not be displayed' screen. Occasionally the site is working and presented in the browser. But after pressing CTRL+F5 the site loads for 15 ~30 second and then the "Page can not be displayed' screen appears. Also when closing the browser en reopening gives this behavior. Other webapplications on this server are still working. The site was working fine before reboot but after reboot I got this behavior.

    In the system event log I see this message: 

    A process serving application pool 'SharePoint - 80' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '1320'. The data field contains the error number.

    I am also getting a login screen several times even if the loged in user normally was logged in automatically

    Any ideas?

    Regards

    Danny



    Wednesday, May 03, 2017 5:34 PM

All replies

  • Hi waaromikniet,

    Did you run an IISreset /noforce ?

    About this error, hare are some more details:

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735271(v=ws.10).aspx

    If you have multiple WFE and a load balancer, remove the fauly server from Load balancer until you resolve the issue.

    Regards,

    Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:31 AM
  • Yes I tried IISRESET /noforce.

    Strange thing is, that I am experiencing this on all my servers. When I detach te content database and attach a new one and create a site collection everything works fine.
    Thursday, May 04, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

    Please check if this issue only occurs for the root site collection of the problematic web application.

    If it just happens for the one site collection, you can try to backup the site collection and create a new site collection, restore the backed-up site collection into the new site collection. 

    Then test again on the new site collection. If everything works well on the new site collection, this issue should be the problematic site is broken, you can consider deleting the problematic site collection and use the new site collection instead of the problematic one.

    Thanks,

    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Thursday, May 04, 2017 7:51 AM
    Moderator
  • When I export the root site collection and restore this in a new webapplication with a new contentdatabase I have the same problem. Even when I restore on antoher farm I have the same problem.
    Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

    Go to IIS Manager and right-click the problematic application pool and click "Advanced Settings", set "Enable 32 bit Applications" to "True". 

    After that, make sure the application pool is started, then restart IIS, compare the result.

    Thanks,

    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, May 09, 2017 7:35 AM
    Moderator
  • "Enable 32 bit Applications" to "True" lets the app pool go to a stopped state as soon as I navigate to the site.

    This option must be false on a SharePoint app pool

    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:26 AM
  • I have another update on the problem. I tracked the problem to a piece of code that is using Linq to SharePoint to get some pages from a page library to show in a newsfeed control. There are about 1400 pages in that library. When I disable this piece of code the site works and I am not getting the login screen and sudden app pool restarts. The strange thing is that on my customers server this problem doesn't occur. On my server it does. The CPU and memory secs are the same. The only dif is that my customer is running Sp2013 SP1 with Oct 2013 CU. I am running SP2013 SP1 with Feb 2107 CU. Are there any changes in the Linq to SharePoint in this newer CU that can cause this issue?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Hi ,

    From your description, this issue is about the code using LINQ to SharePoint.

    This issue may be caused by the performance of your farm though the two farm has same hardware, it should be related to the visits, bandwidth, services.

    When using LINQ to SharePoint, one problem is that fetching data from the content database may be slow, and more data gets loaded to the web front-end server memory than necessary.

    You can try to use other methods to achieve your requirement instead of LINQ to SharePoint.

    Thanks,

    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:25 AM
    Moderator