none
Issue with re-connecting a Client Computer to the Server Essentials R2 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue re-connecting a Client Computer to Server Essentials R2 2012.  The Client Computer in question was connected to the Sever originally.  I started getting Error Messages indicating that I was running out of storage room.  I had been wanting to re-configure this Server with additional Hard Drives for some time, but something else always came up first.  Now, I was forced to address the problem.  I shut down the Server and added additional Hard Drives and while I was at it I replaced the original Hard Drive that the Server Operating System was on with a much smaller Hard Drive, and reinstalled Server Essentials on that Drive.  Everything was working fine and the Server Back-up went fine to an external Hard Drive.  I was ready to re-install my Client Computers.  I started with my primary Production Computer first.  The Connector Software seemed to install fine, but as I moved through the Connection Wizard I received the following Error Message:  "Cannot connect this computer to the network.  This computer is already connected to another Windows Server Network.  Before connecting this computer to the Windows Server Essentials network, you must remove this computer from the current network.  To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network".  I am the Administrator.  I removed the Connector Software following the instructions in the "Troubleshooting connecting computers to the Server", but I continue to get the Error Message whenever I attempt to re-connect the Client Computer.  I have not attempted to connect any of the other three Client Computers yet as I need to resolve this issue first on my primary production machine.  Where am I going wrong?  Does anyone have any suggestions?
    • Edited by PARADOX-RED Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:06 AM SPELLING ERROR
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:51 AM

Answers

• Thank you Howtodo for your reply and assistance.  However, reading my reply to Justin above, you will find that I have already been this route with not very good results.  In fact, it crashed the system and I had to accomplish a restore using the installation disk.  I'm not willing to go that route again.  I did review the video link carefully, and that was interesting but basicly what you have already outlined here.  I think that when I have some time I will simply reinstall the entire Operating System on my production computer, and then set up the Server again for this client unit.  In the meantime I've been backing up to external hard drives and this is working as a "patch".

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Vic

Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:40 AM

All replies

• Hi PARADOX-RED,

Based on the error messages that you provided, please remove the connector software from Control Panel completely. Then, in the problematic computer, please locate to: Control Panel-> System-> select Change settings. And select the Computer Name tab in the System Properties dialog box, click change button. Then in the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, please take the computer out of the domain as a workgroup, and rejoin in new domain.

Please check if this issue can be solved. If it still exists, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:32 AM
  • Thank you Justin for your reply.  I worked through your suggestions but had some issues that came up.  1.)  The Client Computer is not part of a Workgroup.  2.)  Under the block for Domain it shows "victorgalleries.local" which is the Domain that was assigned for my Business when I originally set up the Server.  3.)  If I remove the entry in this block, I can go no further without putting an entry in either the Domain or Workgroup Blocks.  The "OK" button remains not active.  4.)  I tried setting up a Workgroup (which the Computer allowed me to do using my Administrator Password), but when I restarted the Computer it would not recognize any Password that I put in including my Administrator Password.  5.)  I ended up having to access a System Restore Point using my OS Recovery Disk and that got me back to ground zero. I'm not anxious to do that again as this is my production Computer.  Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Vic

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:14 PM
  • disjoin domain…

set the client to Workgroup (Restart) (need Local administrator password)

Go to Computer Name/Domain Changes

Set to Domain (type)…

May be helpful…different OS, same process…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afaF0mc0qaw

Best,

Howtodo

Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Thank you Howtodo for your reply and assistance.  However, reading my reply to Justin above, you will find that I have already been this route with not very good results.  In fact, it crashed the system and I had to accomplish a restore using the installation disk.  I'm not willing to go that route again.  I did review the video link carefully, and that was interesting but basicly what you have already outlined here.  I think that when I have some time I will simply reinstall the entire Operating System on my production computer, and then set up the Server again for this client unit.  In the meantime I've been backing up to external hard drives and this is working as a "patch".

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Vic

Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Pls i really need help here... i have set up windows server 2012r2, install DHCP, DNS, ADCS, ADDS and REMOTE ACCESS.
    I have also set up the REMOTE ACCESS with VPN using DOMAIN NAME pointing to PUBLIC IP given by MY ISP in my domain service host. EG (xyz.biz to 187.234.76.167).. I HAVE forward PORT on my mikrotic router to ports 80: and 443: .. pointing to the internal static IP of the server.. i have no error on the remote access configuration page ... but i cant access my server when i tried using ... (REMOTE.XYZ.BIZ) on another system ... and also i get error connecting thru vpn .. HELP HELP I WANT TO CRY...
    Friday, October 17, 2014 5:08 PM