'Count operating system versions' query RRS feed

• Question

• When running report 'Count operating system versions' (report ID 102 or 103), SCCM cannot seem to separate Windows 2008 32-bit servers from 64-bit servers.
    For example we are able to see two versions of 2003 servers as 'Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition' and 'Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition'.
    This is not the case with Windows 2008 servers as both 32 and 64 bit versions have the same title which is 'Microsoft Server Standard'. 
    Is Microsoft working on a fix for this or does this mean we have to write our own query to include system type?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:30 PM

Answers

• I don't think there is anything to "fix" per se.  ConfigMgr is pulling back the information the client has.  For example, if I look at a Server08 box interactively, right-click on Computer, properties, that's what is listed under Windows edition "Windows Server(r) Standard".  Even though later in that same view it says System type: 64-bit Operating System.  But that's a different field.

If I were you, I'd clone one of those reports, and add in a column, and use v_gs_processor.addresswidth0 to get 32 vs. 64 for the OS flavor.  You could also steal the code from here: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/skissinger/archive/2009/06/23/32bit-vs-64bit-report.aspx  and customize the report to also show where you might have a 32-bit OS installed on 64-bit capable hardware, just in case you were looking to update to 64-bit, and needed to know easily what hardware is already capable of it.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    • Marked as answer by Lats Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:02 PM