cant boot to old xp install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have just put win7 onto my pc proper after running it in a vm. The situation is: I have xp on the box, and I had opensuse on the box also, so I blew away the suse partition, and installed win7 into there.

Win7 boots and generally runs perfect, but I dont get the option to boot to xp, I tried going to the system repair, off the boot disc, made no odds, I also went to my comp/props/advanced/startup and recovery, and had that scan to add xp, but it found nothing.

My suspicion is that because suse was using LILO, and I am not sure which partition the original xp boot config was, it may have been lost when I deleted the suse partion, could be my problem (am at work and cannot check pc, now)

Are there any commands that may fix this in either the win7 repair CL or would using xp's fixmbr do it? though I am concerned that fixmbr may break win7s bootloader.

thanks for any help in advance.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• The simplest way is, imo,  adding  XP to the boot menu
    with the GUI program EasyBCD. Download, install and start it.
    Press the button "Add/remove entry". Etc.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:04 PM
  • You can also use the native tool, BCDEDIT.EXE, which is the supported methodology for adding a Windows XP partition into the Windows 7 boot manager.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The simplest way is, imo,  adding  XP to the boot menu
    with the GUI program EasyBCD. Download, install and start it.
    Press the button "Add/remove entry". Etc.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:04 PM
  • You can also use the native tool, BCDEDIT.EXE, which is the supported methodology for adding a Windows XP partition into the Windows 7 boot manager.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:47 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, I tried easybcd, as I have looked at bcdedit before, and wasnt in the mood for getting my head round that on my main system.

Unfortunately after trying what I thought would be the correct entries, I was left with "ntldr missing" error after post. So I booted of my xp cd, done fixboot then fixmbr, reboot, and same error, booted into knoppix to try and track down where or if I had any xp boot files, and they were sitting on root of the xp volume.

Slightly baffled, but not shocked, I rebooted again, and it went straight into xp.

So I tried some more with easybcd, but have not been able to get it booting into 7 now.

I think the original problem must have been due to the lilo bootloader, but am unsure as, I dont think either fixboot or fixmbr would have re-created missing ntldr files, nor would lilo have worked if they were not there.

I am going to wipe the win7 partitions (it created a System Reserved partition (100mb aprox) in addition to installing in the partition I had set aside for win7. Clean all my drives up, and try again. I may if I have room, or the time to juggle the files around put win7 on my second drive.

Thanks for the attempt at help, easybcd certainly looks very useful, but i couldnt get it to do what I needed. As for bcdedit I will get to working that one out on a vm first, or a secondary system
    Monday, May 11, 2009 9:58 PM