Exchange 207 - Adding new domain name to everyone's mailbox? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are buying another domain name that we need to add to everyone's mailbox, how can I easily do this and can we make it their primary address too?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:37 PM

Answers

• To add a new domain to your exchange setup you first need to add it as an accepted domain within Exchange. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996910(v=exchg.80).aspx for a full explanation.

Once that's done you can of course simply add additional aliases manually to your users, or the alternative is to create an email address policy (or edit the existing one if you already have one). Details and available syntax options are here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124401(v=exchg.80).aspx which includes links to other related articles. Once that's created if you create the new policy with the new and old domains listed and with the new domain as the default that will be applied to all the mailboxes and make the new domain the primary one. If the users still have the "Automatically update email addresses based on email address policy" option checked within their account settings they'll automatically get the new details applied to their accounts. I'm not 100% sure what happens if that has been unchecked however as I can't easily test it, and I see mixed suggestions when searching. I think since the policy specifies to apply it then it will do regardless, otherwise it might append the new details to the existing entries while presumably leaving the default as it is now (but even that saves you some setup work).

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• To add a new domain to your exchange setup you first need to add it as an accepted domain within Exchange. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996910(v=exchg.80).aspx for a full explanation.

Once that's done you can of course simply add additional aliases manually to your users, or the alternative is to create an email address policy (or edit the existing one if you already have one). Details and available syntax options are here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124401(v=exchg.80).aspx which includes links to other related articles. Once that's created if you create the new policy with the new and old domains listed and with the new domain as the default that will be applied to all the mailboxes and make the new domain the primary one. If the users still have the "Automatically update email addresses based on email address policy" option checked within their account settings they'll automatically get the new details applied to their accounts. I'm not 100% sure what happens if that has been unchecked however as I can't easily test it, and I see mixed suggestions when searching. I think since the policy specifies to apply it then it will do regardless, otherwise it might append the new details to the existing entries while presumably leaving the default as it is now (but even that saves you some setup work).

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:53 PM
  • If the "Automatically update...." isn't checked they'll have to add any new addresses "by hand".

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Thanks, I will add via a policy I think, but can I add the new domain to all users and not make it their default yet?  And then at a later date make it their default?

I notice under the "Email Address Polices" we have

companyname.com priority 1

otherdomain priority 2

default Policy lowest

Do I just create a new one and put it at the top?

Many thanks

• Edited by TB303 Tuesday, October 1, 2013 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Yes you can. If you add both new and old domains to the policy and leave the old domain as the default (eg the "Set as Reply" address) then users will continue to use that one to send from but will also receive message sent to the new domain.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:14 AM
  • I notice that companyname.com (priority 1) is using our main domain name and so is default Policy (lowest).  So we would just add the new domain to companyname.com?

Then when we need to make the new domain name the default I just need to go into the default policy and remove the current domain and add the new one?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Yes, you can. The address template that in bold font is the primary proxy address. Any other addresses of the same type you add will be secondary proxy addresses. The order in which the addresses appear in the list has no significance.

When you're ready to switch, just select the one you want and click the "set as reply address". Then reapply the policy.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:56 AM
  • If the "companyname.com" policy is applied to everything (distribution groups, mail-enabled contacts, users, and public folders in addition to mailboxes, then the answer is yes.

But if the "companyname.com" policy applies only to mailboxes then it's the default policy that will be used when assigning addresses to everything else.

Removing an address template from the policy won't remove the addresses that have already been assigned. All that will do is cease to assign new addresses using that template.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:02 AM
  • It seems the "companyname.com" policy is applied to users with Exchange Mail, Resource mailboxes, Mail-enabled groups and the smtp is set to %g.%s@companyname.com it is the only entry in there and it is bold.

The default policy is all grey'd out and it seems to be set at "All recipients type" and again like the above policy %g.%s@companyname.com so 2 policies have the same smtp address, this is what confuses me.

So which one should I add it too or create a new policy which seems over the top?

Also if I push the wrong smtp address how would I remove it if after everyone has it?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:57 AM
  • The first dialog box you see when you look at the properties of the default EAP won't let you change anything. Is the "Next" button active? Can you change the "Email Addresses" the policy uses?

The purpose of the default EAP is to cover anything not covered by any other EAP. In your case, it will apply to any mail-enabled public folders you may have.

The same e-mail template can appear in any or all EAPs. To which objects the EAP applies depends on the conditional statements.

You might, for example, use %m@companyname.com as the primary SMTP proxy address and %g.%s@companyname.com in an EAP that apllies only to groups. You may also have an EAP that assigns %g.%s@companyname.com as the primary SMTP proxy address and %m@companname.com as a secondary SMTP proxy address that applies to mailboxes. That's certainly a contrived example.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "wrong" address. You can't use an EAP to remove addresses, but there are other tools that make it a fairly simple process (Powershell, ADModify, etc.).

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:52 PM