windows mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have seen a post in misc regarding this but I think its more suitable to here. In program files there is a windows mail directory. In the directory there is winmail.exe which is the old windows mail client. Why have we been told we need to download windows live mail when the old windows mail is installed with the sytem. The new windows live exe wlmail is only 110kb in length so is not big enough to run the mail app. Can someone tell me what is going off here and why cant I run winmail after all it was installed with windows 7.
    all the best
    malc 
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

• <This is why I am asking why is windows mail installed with windows 7.>
    That was stated in the other thread you referred to.  And, looking at that directory, I agree:  it's there to run Contacts.  Just take a look at the files in the root folder (%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail) - namely, look at the decriptions for wab.exe and wabmig.exe.

Live Mail uses elements that are installed when you install it.  That directory is 31MB in size.
    And, Live Mail is currently using (on this computer) 16,780KB RAM (working set), with a commit charge (reserved virtual memory) of 34,668KB, as reported by System Resource Monitor.  And, that's not even handling any email - I just use it for the Connect newsgroups.
    Just because the executable is only 110KB in size does not mean that's all the RAM it'll use - there are quite a few rather large .dll's that it loads, as well.  ;)

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by malcp Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:50 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi
    there are also registry settings for windows mail (winmail.exe) and when winmail.exe is executed it does run as its on the tasklist but there is no interface.
    Can someone explain what is going on here
    malc
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:51 PM
  • While I can't poke around on any of my Win7 systems to check your theory (as two have Live Mail installed already, and the third is a dedicated Media Center server box - stability is absolutely paramount on it; therefore, no experimentation with that system occurs), I can say something about this:
    <The new windows live exe wlmail is only 110kb in length so is not big enough to run the mail app. >
    That's because it's an online installer, whick downloads the 'real' installation files as it runs.
    The full Windows Live installer (offline version) is 134MB (includes all Live apps.)
    I can attest to the fact that Live Mail does need to be downloaded, as I've watched it done - twice.  However, I don't remember just how big the download was. 
    Possibly someone can run the online installer on a fresh system, and see how big the Live Mail part of the installation is?

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi chris
    My query was not about the download as I have done that myself. The exe that runs when you use windows live mail is only 110kb big. This is the size of the file in the windows live mail directory. This is a vast improvement over winmail.exe which is 389kb in size. This intrigues me and the fact that windows 7 installs windows mail leads to me to think that perhaps windows live mail is using elements from windows mail. I need to know because if not I am going to delete the redundant windows mail directory off of the system. This is why I am asking why is windows mail installed with windows 7.
    malc
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:22 AM
  • <This is why I am asking why is windows mail installed with windows 7.>
    That was stated in the other thread you referred to.  And, looking at that directory, I agree:  it's there to run Contacts.  Just take a look at the files in the root folder (%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail) - namely, look at the decriptions for wab.exe and wabmig.exe.

Live Mail uses elements that are installed when you install it.  That directory is 31MB in size.
    And, Live Mail is currently using (on this computer) 16,780KB RAM (working set), with a commit charge (reserved virtual memory) of 34,668KB, as reported by System Resource Monitor.  And, that's not even handling any email - I just use it for the Connect newsgroups.
    Just because the executable is only 110KB in size does not mean that's all the RAM it'll use - there are quite a few rather large .dll's that it loads, as well.  ;)

-Chris
    • Marked as answer by malcp Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:50 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:11 PM
  • hi
    Thanks I just wanted to know if i could delete the windows mail directory but if live mail uses it for contacts then I will leave it.
    As regards the exe size I was just comparing it to the winmail.exe I do relalize it uses a lot more memory.
    malc
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:50 PM